Squeeling distributor

Most posting a question about my distributor.

This is on my L20b. I'm still running the points distributor. Specifically, getting the squeel from the vacuum advance. I noticed it happened when the vacuum hose had fallen off. I put it back on and the noise slowly went away.

Just curious if anyone has experienced this? And what might be the cause, mostly if I need to replace something before something gets damaged.

Any input would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hose have a split in it?

Take cap off and suck on the carb end. The rotor should turn clockwise about an inch and hold till you release it. If it won't hols and returns either the vacuum diaphragm inside or the hose has a leak.

I know the hose doesn't have a leak, it's only like 6 months old. It wouldn't surprise me even a little if the diaphragm is shot. I'll give the vacuum test a shot when I get home tonight.

I have a CDI one ready to go on if this bugger is dying. I just need to do a little research on how to install it first.

Yes, it's a mechanical noise for sure. It's specifically coming from the distributor, loudest directly from the Diaphragm. I used my stethoscope on it to get exactly where the sound was coming from. While making the noise, the diaphragm was vibrating too.

The noise going away when I put the hose back on very well might have been either a coincidence, or maybe the hose is just absorbing the extra vibration enough to kill the sound. Or a possibility the hole that the hose covers is where the squealing is being amplified some how, and the hose is diverting the noise some how.

I know these are all possibilities of why the noise started, but what in the Dizzy can make a squealing / whining noise? Is it something that can be fixed (relatively easily if possible), or should I just bin the thing and find out how to install the non points one I have?

P.S. If anyone links me to a walk through on swapping to a pointless distributor, I'll owe you one :)