Sold my 620 and bought a 521

kevins750

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The shifter on a stock 521 is not the most precise mechanical mechanism in the world.  You kind of have to get used to it.  You might be able to tighten it up by putting some shims alongside the fork on the bottom of the shifter, that slides over the rod going into the transmission.  This should tighten up the side to side play. Forward and back play might be able to be tightened up with a non work pin that goes through the fork, and rod.  You might have to figure out some sort of bushing.

For the dieseling, try lowering the idle speed.  Another option, when shutting off the engine, set the E-brake, and put the truck in gear, and stop the engine with the clutch as you turn off the key. 

There is supposed to be a cup on the end of the shifter ball that drops into the transmission shift mechanism, if that bushing is missing, the shifter will be very sloppy, and if the bushings at the pivot point are missing, you would be lucky to know what gear you are in.

You need to pull the shift lever and see what's going on.

Wow, I thought you were talking about a 5 speed, I have no idea what could cause that kind of play on that 4 speed, I have actually never daily driven a 521 with a 4 speed, I have had 5 speeds in every one of them.

Some pin is likely getting ready to fall out or break inside the transmission, I would not drive it very far from home till you know what the issue is, it would really suck if you get a long ways from home only to have the stick start to do nothing at all, and have it stuck in 1st or 2nd, or worse yet in neutral or reverse.