New 720, already fucked it up

Justin Berni

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly. The relay needs a charging alternator to hold the relay on to power the choke heater. Some 720 owners complain it buzzes at idle only. Warm your truck up fully and take the top off the air filter and look at the choke plate. Is it fully open? If yes then the heater is at least working. If not, the relay is the cause, or better to say... something is not allowing the relay to do it's job.

Does the charge light glow faintly in the dash?

Measure the battery voltage with the engine running....should be14+ volts.

Battery light hasn't been on at all.

The oil light flickers sometimes tho, don't think that's related but I should probly look in to it.

It buzzed once until the truck warmed up, than never had the problem again. Than today it started and wouldn't go away.

I'll have to go to autozone or something to check the voltage since I don't have a multimeter or anything. Thanks for the help tho.

Oil light can be two things.

Somewhere the wire to the sender is rubbing against a ground. This will turn it on or flicker but there is nothing wrong with the oil pressure. If it flickers while driving this is the most likely.

If it flickers at idle, your oil pressure is possibly dangerously low. The sender reacts to 5-8 PSI or lower. Extremely worn bearings will lower idle oil pressure. Very thin oil will also. Is it due for an oil change?

Does the battery light come on when you turn the key on before you start it?

Battery light hasn't been on at all.
The oil light flickers sometimes tho, don't think that's related but I should probly look in to it.
It buzzed once until the truck warmed up, than never had the problem again. Than today it started and wouldn't go away.
I'll have to go to autozone or something to check the voltage since I don't have a multimeter or anything. Thanks for the help tho.

Yeah battery light comes on when key is on while engine is off.

And I've never seen the oil light come on at idle, so I'll have to find and trace that wire and see if it's rubbing a ground or something, seems like it happens more on a bumpy road so that would make sense.

Is also due for an oil change, so I'll have to do that when I have the extra 12 bucks for oil haha

That's fairly reasonable. Fresh oil is 'thicker', try 15x40 Dello400 or 15X40

Rotella T. Besides being thicker it has a reasonable ZDDT level still.

Alright I'm gonna change the oil soon, and see if that wire is touching a ground like you mentioned and see what happens.

And check my alternator out.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

So I havnt done much except for lower the front until it sat level with the rear, it close to level, and today I painted the valve cover blue, idk if I want to leave it blue or strip it to bare metal than clear coat it, so what do you guys think??

72F50B60-9A28-4DF3-B06E-024C341F2DE7_zps

dia/B434B3FE-C35E-43D5-A2AC-8C0C0719B0CF_zpsvjl0t5qi.jpg.html]B434B3FE-C35E-43D5-A2AC8C0C0719B0CF_zpsv[/url]

CF82E833-E60D-4FA7-A024-21511F6B01B0_zps

E24C0C2A-7E27-4A96-A52C-4D29B1C0D7E9_zps

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Little update.

Truck has been good.

I pulled my bumper off because the mounts were bent and I think It looks cool without it, I'm sure I'll get plenty of hate for it though, but I like it.

I also put a little breather filter on my valve cover so I didn't need a hose from the valve cover to the carb..

Just got a new job so I'll be making a lot more progress soon.

Might start saving for drop spindles, but before that I'm gonna get tires. Also I'm gonna ditch this 3" block and get 4" blocks, so I'll have a 5" drop in the back, should be cool.

Before all that I'm gonna do a full tune up on what I havnt done already though. New plugs, wires, fuel filter, coolant flush, what else? I've already re-torqued my head bolts and changed the oil and filter..

B6CDCB9C-E806-4A69-82BE-B99C1D588772_zps

8004B2B9-2A15-4D99-8FFC-2CD29F2C3698_zps

I'm gonna find a new way to mount these turn signals soon, preferably not with zip ties..

Under full throttle the blow by overcomes the PCV valve and the air flow reverses and blows out the valve cover vent.  Both filter the air but the carb set up will suck these fumes back into the engine to be burned. Those little filters a cute but they don't keep the fumes out of the cab.

Under full throttle the blow by overcomes the PCV valve and the air flow reverses and blows out the valve cover vent. Both filter the air but the carb set up will suck these fumes back into the engine to be burned. Those little filters a cute but they don't keep the fumes out of the cab.

My exhaust is currently cut off directly under the cab so it already stinks in there anyways

My exhaust is currently cut off directly under the cab so it already stinks in there anyways

But what do you say about the charcoal canister Mike? Bad idea to remove?

The canister keeps the cab from selling like gas, but it won't make a difference on how the truck runs