New 720, already fucked it up

Justin Berni

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn’t get that this is a ‘honing in’ kind of process, where you do it repeatedly until you get there. At first, I just adjusted it once and that was it. I wasn’t too far off, but it wasn’t nearly perfect until I did it again and then again to get it nailed down just so. Holy cow- it made all the difference. Thanks (yet) again, datsunmike!

My mom stopped by oriellys for me to pick up some tranny fluid, I told her what I need, and when she's there she texts me "the guy says gl5 is even better"

I told her nevermind I'll find it at napa or something.

She argued with me for a minute that if the guy says it's fine it's fine, but I'm not gonna trust that douche, but, I would like to know what is different and why so many people say it's the same if it's not?

My mom stopped by oriellys for me to pick up some tranny fluid, I told her what I need, and when she's there she texts me "the guy says gl5 is even better"

She argued with me for a minute that if the guy says it's fine it's fine, but I'm not gonna trust that douche, but, I would like to know what is different and why so many people say it's the same if it's not?

They want to sell you something, they are not going to make any money if what you want is not in their inventory, so they say what they need to, to sell you what they have.

GL-4 and GL-5 both contain sulphur compounds that forms a molecular bond on the outer layer of the gear teeth that resists scuffing. These same sulphur compounds will bond to the copper in the bronze alloy of our transmission synchronizer rings.  The problem is that this layer is loosely bonded to the soft copper underneath it and it sheds. Slowly, layer by layer the copper is corroded or eroded away. GL-4 contains about 4% of these compounds and this is a low enough concentration to not overly react with the copper. Differentials contain no copper and so, GL-5 can be used which is about 6% concentration. Two percent doesn't seem like much you say? Well it's not 2%. The difference between 4 and 6 is 50%. Differential gears transmit power differently that transmission gears and they need more scuff resistance.  Your transmission only needs the protection of GL-4. Yes GL-5 is better, but what makes it 'better' is also what makes it very wrong for out transmissions.

• Like 3

GL-4 and GL-5 both contain sulphur compounds that forms a molecular bond on the outer layer of the gear teeth that resists scuffing. These same sulphur compounds will bond to the copper in the bronze alloy of our transmission synchronizer rings.  The problem is that this layer is loosely bonded to the soft copper underneath it and it sheds. Slowly, layer by layer the copper is corroded or eroded away. GL-4 contains about 4% of these compounds and this is a low enough concentration to not overly react with the copper. Differentials contain no copper and so, GL-5 can be used which is about 6% concentration. Two percent doesn't seem like much you say? Well it's not 2%. The difference between 4 and 6 is 50%. Differential gears transmit power differently that transmission gears and they need more scuff resistance.  Your transmission only needs the protection of GL-4. Yes GL-5 is better, but what makes it 'better' is also what makes it very wrong for out transmissions.

Mike this is awesome. We should all print this out and give it to the shops who say GL5 doesn't make any difference.

Many newer transmissions have no copper alloy parts, maybe stel synchros? so GL-5 would be super to use. Unfortunately our older Nissan transmissions do not and need to be protected from GL-5. Differential gears mate differently and transmit power around a 90 degree bend. Maybe they slide across each other differently and need more protection. Transmissions transmit power in the sam axis direction.

Where the pics at though?? haha

Sorry, havnt been doing much to the truck so I havnt been motivated to take pictures haha.

This is all I have for now 28145C25-426D-4F0A-9F63-82924A547B6F_zps

The kid before me was trying to be "JDM as fuck" and make the hood all rusted, probably the trend I hate more than any other, can't fuckin stand that.

I'm selling a weber if your looking for one. Manual choke has adapter plate for the 720.

Go with the gl4 I just did mine not to long ago and it is better.

same in my dif.

I used a valoline brand, try not to use a synthetic it thins out more then normal and will seep out the seals.

How much are you asking??

Weber hasn't come yet, but I gt my truck to stay running with my shit carb, ran bad but I got to drive it tonight and it was fun, my new 720 is so much quicker than my old one, maybe the extra 100,000 miles that the last one had made it a little slower from so much more wear on it?

Anyways it was a fun night getting to drive for the first time in a while, weber will be even more fun.

Finally, time for pictures.

050FD77E-DE5E-4AE9-A4B3-B8F8DD29A444_zps

Front needs more low.

3348C967-7A36-4A32-AC86-DD2464EB48D9_zps rear could use another inch drop..

0100B936-E3D5-49F8-9C69-DFAF9D33FC37_zps

I love this bed liner.

6C3EA229-3285-4F76-A01A-C5CBFEB49DEF_zps none ripped bench seat, and yes, a house speaker cuz it's all I have at the moment, it bumps tho, so it's actually awesome hahah.

455E6AED-5546-4D24-AFA0-6FD69AF06866_zps un cracked dash.

2F38CF8A-74B0-4778-A4C9-1046113BFC0D_zps

I fuckin hate this rice lookin steering wheel, but I love my interior besides that!