New 720, already fucked it up

Justin Berni

So I picked up a new 720 today, drive it home fine, no problems.

But later in the day I was going somewhere and ran out of gas, managed to get to a gas station and fueled up, but ever since then it won't stay running unless I'm on the gas, and if I turn the idle screw up it helps a little, but than I'm idling way to high!

Do you guys think it's just that I got some shit sucked up into the carb running so low on gas? Any suggestions?

• Like 1
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not familiar with 86 technology but,  does your carb have the two drain plugs on the underside of float bowl ? Sometimes you can pull one out at a time and drain some of the crap out ( water and such) then fill bowl up with gas and water separator (Heat type stuff)  and pull them again.

Never do it hot

• Like 1

I'm not sure, I'll have to check.

I'm a little scared to mess with the carb too much, cuz I've never really tore one apart.

I think I'm gonna goto pick n pull and play with one there before I do anything to mine, I'd rather fuck up and learn on a junk yard part. Thanks for the advice tho, I'll look in to that in the morning!

• Like 1

Oh yeah,, it isn't  really taking the carb apart, it is just taking drain plugs out. I can totally relate to where your coming from I would definitely think long and hard before taking a Hitachi apart for sure. They are a nightmare inside.

But your truck might be to new to even have the drain plugs.

• Like 2

Oh yeah,, it isn't really taking the carb apart, it is just taking drain plugs out. I can totally relate to where your coming from I would definitely think long and hard before taking a Hitachi apart for sure. They are a nightmare inside.

But your truck might be to new to even have the drain plugs.

I'll look into that in the morning forsure.

If it's not a clogged filter or carb, anyone else know what might cause my truck to die when I'm not giving it gas? The idle isnt very steady.

• Like 1

It was ran out of fuel, my guess is that it picked something up from the bottom of the tank, but it seems like if it did that it would not run at all, and it also would seem to me that the filter would have stopped anything from even making it to the idle jet/jets.

I personally don't know anything about them ECU carbs on them trucks, nor do I know much about the electric fuel pumps on them trucks.

I have a question, you said it ran out of fuel, but somehow you got it to the fuel station, how did you manage getting it there without fuel?

• Like 1

Typical datsun owner runs on empty

I bet the dirt suck into the idle jet. many people inccrease the idle speed screw to compensate but really your running off the main fuel jet.

clean the idle jet which you should also have a 12vcolt wire going to(anti desieling selinoid)

cleaan this then you can readjust back to stock settings.

also replace the fuel filter and then maybe cut it open to give a reading how dirty your tank is.

• Like 2

I dont know stock napz carbs.

but where the 12volt wire that goes to it youll unplugg it and unscrew the selenoid and assume there will be a iddle jet and or holder. then blow it out till you csan see thru the jet.

Be honest Ill steer you to datzenmike for more info. he has photos of the carbs

but on weber DGV AVs there is a brass screw looking cap ,unscrew and the idle jet is in that and youll blow it out.

Solve the problem and get a weber.

But seriously, check the float level and maybe do the drain thing. Or maybe someone knows the "cover the intake with a rag so it sucks the bowl dry and pulls any crap out" trick? Roadkill (episode 3) is edumacational.

Once I sell my wheels I'm getting a weber.

And roadkill is a dope show, besides that they call their Z "Rotsun", can't stand that..

I'll have to go back and watch that episode again, I dont remember it, thanks!

• Like 1

Played with the carb a little, hopped in to go around the block real quick and see if it was any better, at first it wouldn't go into gear, once I got it in gear I went around the block, I come back to find that I left a trail of tranny fluid. The tranny drain plug was loose as hell, I could spin it with my finger. So I tightened it up and left the truck parked until tomorrow so I can put fluid in..

52C47CC7-A4E2-4CF2-9440-2BDB4203C775_zps

• Like 1

To you it's a new truck and not to be trusted!!!!!! You can't just jump in a drive around you have no idea how well the other owner looked after it. What if it seizes up because it's out of oil???

Check ALL fluids, engine oil, transmission, differential... preferably replace them all with fresh and a new oil filter. Check the belts and all heater and rad hoses. There is a small fuel filter on the bottom of the electric fuel pump.

The dieseling, or run on is caused by you having the idle speed turned up. It's no longer on the idle circuit and the idle cut solenoid will have no effect. Turn ignition on and off while listening near the back of the carb. You should hear a light clicking if it's connected electrically. If no clicking find out why.

To clear the idle circuit, unscrew and remove the idle cut solenoid being careful there is a spring and plintle that can fall out. Count the turns and remove the idle mixture screw, again there is a spring that is easily lost. If you have compressed air blow it into the idle mixture screw hole and the idle cut hole. Wear goggles. If you don't have air get a can of carb cleaner, the kind with a red straw like the WD-40 cans and spray liberally into both holes to clear them. This should get your idle back.

Turn idle down as low as it will go. Turn idle mixture in and out to find the smoothest fast idle. Turn idle speed down and repeat the in and out adjustment settling for a point about half way between where idle is strongest. Turn idle speed down and repeat until you cannot improve the idle quality and the idle is around 750-800.

Be sure to check the timing (3-5 degrees BTDC) and if adjusted re-check the mixture and idle speed again.

• Like 2

To you it's a new truck and not to be trusted!!!!!! You can't just jump in a drive around you have no idea how well the other owner looked after it. What if it seizes up because it's out of oil???

Check ALL fluids, engine oil, transmission, differential... preferably replace them all with fresh and a new oil filter. Check the belts and all heater and rad hoses. There is a small fuel filter on the bottom of the electric fuel pump.

The dieseling, or run on is caused by you having the idle speed turned up. It's no longer on the idle circuit and the idle cut solenoid will have no effect. Turn ignition on and off while listening near the back of the carb. You should hear a light clicking if it's connected electrically. If no clicking find out why.

To clear the idle circuit, unscrew and remove the idle cut solenoid being careful there is a spring and plintle that can fall out. Count the turns and remove the idle mixture screw, again there is a spring that is easily lost. If you have compressed air blow it into the idle mixture screw hole and the idle cut hole. Wear goggles. If you don't have air get a can of carb cleaner, the kind with a red straw like the WD-40 cans and spray liberally into both holes to clear them. This should get your idle back.

Turn idle down as low as it will go. Turn idle mixture in and out to find the smoothest fast idle. Turn idle speed down and repeat the in and out adjustment settling for a point about half way between where idle is strongest. Turn idle speed down and repeat until you cannot improve the idle quality and the idle is around 750-800.

Be sure to check the timing (3-5 degrees BTDC) and if adjusted re-check the mixture and idle speed again.

I realize now I should have done this, all I checked was engine oil, and coolent..

Since I already know what's up with the transmission fluid I guess I still need to check diff. fluid.

And I'll play with the carb more tomorrow.

What fluid do I need for tranny?

Also, getting idle correct is tough because it's very unsteady, so it'll sound like it's where it should be, than drops for a minute, and dies