kick panel speaker

85"720

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you put anything bigger than 4 inches

Depends on if you want to keep the stock kick panels intact.  Anything bigger and you'll have to build outward.  Or cut up the cab structure, but there isn't much room for deeper speakers.

I've always preferred to keep my speakers hidden.  No need to advertise, only attracts stereo thieves.

• Like 1

about 4 inches. get whatever's on sale as they're likely to eventually get wet.

Or have a foot put through it.

Besides the fact that it doesn't matter how expensive and good quality a speaker you put there, because there is little space for it to move air in and out, it will sound like flatulent ass!

Depends on if you want to keep the stock kick panels intact.  Anything bigger and you'll have to build outward which takes up even more of the already small legroom. Or cut up the cab structure which makes it weak, a bad idea, but there isn't much room for deeper speakers.

Or you could be brave and put 6.5" speakers in the door like 99% of vehicles on the road have which is what I did for a much better sound!

See my write up here:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/62905-hate-the-dinkytinny-sounding-4-things-in-the-kickpanels-wanna-know-how-to-mount-speakers-in-the-doors-just-like-this-with-lots-of-detailed-pics/

0B05AD88-E8B2-4953-B27E-69EF7B65FC0C_zps

F1D5B52B-0707-4BB4-9805-1D2EAC461C7B_zps

• Like 1

Since I street park in a pretty crummy neighborhood (see my thread about a break in and stolen battery), I plan to keep my stereo system pretty low key.  I'd like to use the stock kick panel ports and put a decent set of small speakers in there...but I'd also like to put something nicer behind the seat.  Maybe I'll build a box (or two)?

Anyone else doing something similar?  Any thoughts/info/input appreciated.

• Like 1

Since I street park in a pretty crummy neighborhood (see my thread about a break in and stolen battery), I plan to keep my stereo system pretty low key. I'd like to use the stock kick panel ports and put a decent set of small speakers in there...but I'd also like to put something nicer behind the seat. Maybe I'll build a box (or two)?

Anyone else doing something similar? Any thoughts/info/input appreciated.

I built boxes for a set of 6x9's, and put them behind my seat. Good speakers, and decent boxes, but the sound was muffled and quality greatly decreased with them being that close to the back of the seat.. If I laid the boxes on the floor of the cab, like on the passenger floor board, they sounded great, but when I had them where they were supposed to be, behind my seat, they didn't sound good.

Band pass behind seat. 4" mids in kicks. Tweeters in air vents in dash. This is as good as you will get, but will still sound like grandma walking to the bathroom cause truck. They just suck at sound quality.

I guess I'm saying, don't break your bank trying, cause you won't impress anything. Just get something you can rock to installed and running. Then, when you aren't hauling trash, you can listen to good sounds in your car.

The problem I found with speakers in Datsun doors is 1) the window seals don't seal for crap, leaving me with soggy rusty speakers and 2) Datsun window channels rattle, making the best speakers sound tinny.  Kick panels aren't much of an improvement, though- still damp, and still tinny, just less window rattle.  Behind the seat works in a KC and buckets, not so great with a bench.  My 720 has 25-year old 4" pioneers hidden behind the stock kick panels.  I don't need full-dolby surround sound in a truck anyway- 9/10ths I'm listening to the news.

I cut out the center of my kick panel for the extra depth and put in 6inch speakers with the guard over it. 

this is the only current pic I have needed to put one more screw in and fix the molding in this pic. But I havent had a problem with em since install. Also put 6x9's in the back under the rear corner windows

1529853_397624207049492_101806994_o.jpg