280zx struts on 210 brakes

floyd17

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NO   That is not an option.

What are they wanting to charge you for the strut/ brake package?

I paid $105 with tax out the door and they removed them.  That was a new experience for me

They want 54 each plus a core charge. Plus I pull it myself.

That's a great price. 

Or-just buy the struts and then piece out the brakes from Autozone. 

Install when complete. 

Want a lower car? Cutoff wheel and some split collars. 

Cutting tool-$10 at HF. Split collars $20 all over the internet. 

• Like 2

Food for thought...

If I were to buy a set of 280zx brakes/struts I would not drive on those brakes. 

Any brake pieces will be of questionable integrity and would purely be used as core for new calipers. 

What he said. If you buy them, replacement of the brake parts are a must. The reason you'd never get the 210 brake parts on the 280zx struts because the spindle is much larger on the 280zx than the 210 and there are no bearings that would work for this. Like Flat said, just get the struts and then piece out the brake parts a little at a time if money is tight. Make sure you grab the old 280zx calipers so you use for cores when you buy new ones.

What he said. If you buy them, replacement of the brake parts are a must. The reason you'd never get the 210 brake parts on the 280zx struts because the spindle is much larger on the 280zx than the 210 and there are no bearings that would work for this. Like Flat said, just get the struts and then piece out the brake parts a little at a time if money is tight. Make sure you grab the old 280zx calipers so you use for cores when you buy new ones.

Which, at only $54 a piece for the brakes/struts, is a WAY better deal than paying a $30 core charge for just the calipers-that you won't get back without core calipers to trade in.

Mow an extra lawn or two and pull the trigger.  

• Like 1

I know this is pointless, BUT, I can't afford struts AND brakes from the local junkyard right now. I also can't afford 14" wheels at the moment. So is it possible to buy the struts, attach 210 brakes and run 13" 210 steelies?

210 rotor and caliper won't fit the zx strut.

And can you use 210 springs without cutting them? Or will that just reduce performance

You will have to run the 210 coil spring, cut or uncut, because the zx coil is way too large a diameter to fit up into the 210 strut tower. The only reason for trimming the coil length is that it increases the spring rate (stiffness) Factory springs tend to favor comfort over firm handling. A firmer spring reduces suspension travel. A good idea at any speed going over dips or bumps in a lowered car.

Get the zx struts and simply put them aside for now and when there is time, dismantle them. Trim the lower perch off and grind the weld off smooth. Paint them. Order the 2" split collars. Order camber plates. 

When you can, buy new rotors and then calipers. Don't buy the wrecker calipers unless they are less than the core charge. Next is a set of factory 14" mags.

I imagine it's next spring now and you have everything needed to upgrade your brakes. Just swap your 210 springs onto the waiting zx struts.

• Like 1

210 rotor and caliper won't fit the zx strut.

You will have to run the 210 coil spring, cut or uncut, because the zx coil is way too large a diameter to fit up into the 210 strut tower. The only reason for trimming the coil length is that it increases the spring rate (stiffness) Factory springs tend to favor comfort over firm handling. A firmer spring reduces suspension travel. A good idea at any speed going over dips or bumps in a lowered car.

Get the zx struts and simply put them aside for now and when there is time, dismantle them. Trim the lower perch off and grind the weld off smooth. Paint them. Order the 2" split collars. Order camber plates. 

When you can, buy new rotors and then calipers. Don't buy the wrecker calipers unless they are less than the core charge. Next is a set of factory 14" mags.

I imagine it's next spring now and you have everything needed to upgrade your brakes. Just swap your 210 springs onto the waiting zx struts.

Datzenmike i gotta dumb question for ya (or not really i think). when it comes to front wheel alignment with a datsun 210 with a 280zx strut upgrade, what do you push into the alignment rack computer 80 datsun or 84 nissan 280zx?