Weber carb conversion questions

repguy

I am seriously considering putting a 32/36 Weber carb on my E1 motor. I see kits on ebay that have the carb with an adapter for a L-16 motor. Is the carb bolt pattern / spacing the same as the Nikki I have? Any suggestions form members who have done this switch would be appreciated. Any linkage issues?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This might help.  You'd be better off with a DFV, but Datsunaholic has done it with DGV's too.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/23024-e1-carb-swapweber-dfv/

Damn photobucket has screwed up all the vid links in my account.  I try to fix them as I find them, but I don't have time right now.  Here's  link to the album....they should work from in there.

http://s88.photobucket.com/user/mklotz70/library/NL320/Eng%20and%20Drivetrain/Carb%20swap

I'm not sure Wayne.  I bought the one on the NL second hand a couple of years before I put it on.  I don't remember if I even rebuilt it.....if I did, I don't remember writing down any of the jet sizes.  You'd have to take it apart to find out for sure.  I don't even remember what the previous owner said he ran it on.  I liked the way it ran after I put it on, but I only got to drive it once or twice before it went to you.

Days like today.......I almost kinda miss blasting down the freeway at 70 with it. :)        ........almost :)

So Mike, do you just buy the weber and then re-jet it for the smaller E1 engine?

Wayno you drive it, ...does if bog if you get into it a little too soon? I drove an L16 510 and it has a slight hesitation if you floor it. It runs good if you half floor it and tip it in as it revs. The Hitachi just goes when floored, maybe not as quickly.

I am not worried about the NL320 Mike, it runs good, it never fails me, it's these Nikki carbs, I pull them apart and clean them good, then put it back together and it still runs like shit.

I'm not sure Wayne.  I bought the one on the NL second hand a couple of years before I put it on.  I don't remember if I even rebuilt it.....if I did, I don't remember writing down any of the jet sizes.  You'd have to take it apart to find out for sure.  I don't even remember what the previous owner said he ran it on.  I liked the way it ran after I put it on, but I only got to drive it once or twice before it went to you.

Days like today.......I almost kinda miss blasting down the freeway at 70 with it. :)        ........almost :)

Sometimes one just wants to buy a new carb, I have tried to send this Nikki out to have it professionally rebuilt, but something always happens and it falls through.

Hey Mike, I bought an 32/36 for my 79 620 and put it on and such. Before I fire it up I'm draining all the gas as I've been gone for 9 m0nths and then I'll give it some fire. Should there be any issues that might occur?

I don't think there's anyway to know until you fire it up.  If the seals in the carb have stayed wet, they're probably still good.  9 months isn't really that long. We've all seen datsuns fire up after years of sitting.  Next time, put some Sta-bil in the tank just before you park it and you should be able to just fire it up and drive it when you get back. 

Wayne.....I thought you were asking me about the weber and jetting.  No clue on the Nikkis.  I bought some carb kits years ago, but I'm not sure what they fit.  Really low on the list of things to do.

Keep in mind that the webers don't really like to have the gas pedal slammed to the floor.  The vacuum signal for the vac advance only covers a very small window of the throttle movement. By flooring it too quickly, you can completely negate the vac advance.  A lot of webers aren't tuned correctly at idle and hardly have any vac signal when accelerating.