Datsun 620 noise ?

76_620

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

make this simple.

to me I would ck the clutch master cylinder and fill it up. and bleed clutch it to make sure you get full extension at the slave cylinder.

a squel when clutch pushed in is more a T/O bearing issue. even if blled and bearing bad it still will squel

cking the oil in the trans and diff is most likely not the prolem but good to ck it out when possible unlike me and run the trans out of oil

• Like 1

Seems odd to me that the clutch or the slave know only to do this in 3rd and 2nd. Seems to me it would do it every time the clutch is released.

It also doesn't do it while shifting only when letting the clutch out putting a loan on these two gears. Third gear is just forward of second gear on the mainshaft. Possibly a close by bearing? Not much you can do from the outside but as mentioned you can check the transmission oil. If you have never changed it or do not know when it was changed last then it is due... every 30K miles or 3-5 years.

The fill bung in on the driver's side of the case about half way up. Oil, when full, should be just at the hole. Reach in with little finger and you should easily be able to dip into the oil. If low this might be the cause of the noise. The drain is on the bottom and has a magnet on it. Have a look for large pieces stuck to it. Fine particles and a black paste like substance are normal. Be sure to wipe the magnet clean so you can gauge wear next oil change.

You need about 2 liters of GL-4 80w90 gear oil. NOT GL-5, that's for the differential only. Use GL-4 or an oil that says 'GL-4 compatible' or 'use with copper alloys', or 'yellow metal safe'. Don't let some collage kid tell you that GL-5 is 'better'... it is, but for the wrong reason. Replace the drain bung and slip a couple of feet of old garden hose down from the engine compartment and into the fill hole. Get a kitchen funnel from the dollar store and stick in the end of the hose and fill transmission. When oil spills out the fill hole put the bung in, you're done.

• Like 1

Sound like you might have a synchronizer going bad,and if you are at neutral and parke do you hear like there is a grinding noise that ceases when you apply the clutch then you might have a bearing problem too.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems odd to me that the clutch or the slave know only to do this in 3rd and 2nd. Seems to me it would do it every time the clutch is released.

It also doesn't do it while shifting only when letting the clutch out putting a loan on these two gears. Third gear is just forward of second gear on the mainshaft. Possibly a close by bearing? Not much you can do from the outside but as mentioned you can check the transmission oil. If you have never changed it or do not know when it was changed last then it is due... every 30K miles or 3-5 years.

The fill bung in on the driver's side of the case about half way up. Oil, when full, should be just at the hole. Reach in with little finger and you should easily be able to dip into the oil. If low this might be the cause of the noise. The drain is on the bottom and has a magnet on it. Have a look for large pieces stuck to it. Fine particles and a black paste like substance are normal. Be sure to wipe the magnet clean so you can gauge wear next oil change.

You need about 2 liters of GL-4 80w90 gear oil. NOT GL-5, that's for the differential only. Use GL-4 or an oil that says 'GL-4 compatible' or 'use with copper alloys', or 'yellow metal safe'. Don't let some collage kid tell you that GL-5 is 'better'... it is, but for the wrong reason. Replace the drain bung and slip a couple of feet of old garden hose down from the engine compartment and into the fill hole. Get a kitchen funnel from the dollar store and stick in the end of the hose and fill transmission. When oil spills out the fill hole put the bung in, you're done.