Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the World Needs Open Borders More Than Ever

And why Israelis especially should be fighting for them

If there is a simple practical lesson to be learned from the Holocaust, it’s the need for open borders. It’s a lesson that is acutely relevant today, as the world once more fills up with millions of refugees who had the bad luck to be born in countries that fell into the hands of murderous regimes or that suffer from repeated political upheavals. And even more so, during a period in which the world’s borders are being closed again, and political parties hostile to migrants threaten to take power in country after country.

In such a world, it’s difficult to prevent a “second Holocaust,” but it’s possible to assure people a sanctuary. There’s no knowing how things will develop in any particular country. What’s certain is that the more freedom of movement there is worldwide, the greater the number of people who can be saved from catastrophe.

Clearly, it’s no simple matter to guarantee open borders. There’s a reason that people in Europe, the United States and elsewhere are demanding a halt to the refugee influx. The human landscape in Europe is indeed changing; many local folk feel like strangers in their own homeland. Nor is the cost of absorbing refugees equally divided among the whole population: Some bear the burden, whether financial or social, more than others. Corporate CEOs and university lecturers don’t live next to refugees. They don’t have to compete with them for jobs, either, but workers and service personnel do.

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.785974

• Like 1

Why the World Needs Open Borders More Than Ever

And why Israelis especially should be fighting for them

If there is a simple practical lesson to be learned from the Holocaust, it’s the need for open borders. It’s a lesson that is acutely relevant today, as the world once more fills up with millions of refugees who had the bad luck to be born in countries that fell into the hands of murderous regimes or that suffer from repeated political upheavals. And even more so, during a period in which the world’s borders are being closed again, and political parties hostile to migrants threaten to take power in country after country.

In such a world, it’s difficult to prevent a “second Holocaust,” but it’s possible to assure people a sanctuary. There’s no knowing how things will develop in any particular country. What’s certain is that the more freedom of movement there is worldwide, the greater the number of people who can be saved from catastrophe.

Clearly, it’s no simple matter to guarantee open borders. There’s a reason that people in Europe, the United States and elsewhere are demanding a halt to the refugee influx. The human landscape in Europe is indeed changing; many local folk feel like strangers in their own homeland. Nor is the cost of absorbing refugees equally divided among the whole population: Some bear the burden, whether financial or social, more than others. Corporate CEOs and university lecturers don’t live next to refugees. They don’t have to compete with them for jobs, either, but workers and service personnel do.

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.785974

Ahhhhh.... NO.

I don't want no import bullshit. Got enough domestic to tide me over till the end of time.

• Like 2

California is... I've heard that ... filled in with all kinds of opinions, conjecture, idealization, hatred, envy, scorn, romanticization, ignorance, and insight. As I see it, California is never the same place for long, good or bad is in the eye of the beholder. A universal theme of my older therapy clients is their heart break in seeing the city (San Francisco) change with the influx of tech youth, and millennial internet culture. Ask any one of these tech kids coming here what they think of the city and they'll tell you all starry eyed, it's their generation's cultural Mecca. California has no stable cultural identity because it's always busy reinventing itself. If you're not willing to go on that ride, this place ante for you. 

• Like 1
What that article says to me is that parents have failed their children by converting the K-12 system into government-run daycare, encouraged by pansy legislators who would rather see boys dress like girls and use the women's restroom than be held accountable for learning coursework. Colleges, who want to make money by enrolling students, have caved to the stupid masses puked out by this watered down POS public education system. But alas, it's the daycare workers, err, I mean teachers, who are to blame. A systemic failure of teachers...yeah, that's it.

Still holding out hope people will stop being shitheads.

I don't know for me I guess it all comes down to personal philosophy.

Experience teaches me that human nature is pretty much the same everywhere and if I act like a shithead or am unhappy then I will attract shitheads or unhappy people.

If that is the case then it really does not matter where I live, so it does not take much to make me happy to be alive and not the miserable s.o.b. I used to be because I had too much and took too much for granted.

What makes me happy? A temperate climate, full belly, non-empty wallet, my family and that is about it and not necessarily in that order. 

What else am I asking for or better yet, what else do I expect?

I do know that expectation has a funny way of letting me down more times than is acceptable so it is up to me to temper my expectation to not be disappointed.

Sure I guess California has "problems" but I am not doing anything about them so why do I need to care, I have made them have nothing to do with me except when necessary.

It's a waste of my time to ruminate over things I cannot control anyway, that's 12 step wisdom at its' finest!

• Like 1

I don't know for me I guess it all comes down to personal philosophy.

Experience teaches me that human nature is pretty much the same everywhere and if I act like a shithead or am unhappy then I will attract shitheads or unhappy people.

It's a waste of my time to ruminate over things I cannot control anyway, that's 12 step wisdom at its' finest!

Not a waste of time to recognise what has happened or will happen , and what it will cost us. It is difficult to convince people what your observations tell you.

Really not a complaint, just not sure the reality of the situation is on anyone's mind.

For example there are way to many surfers in the water.

Get involved locally and you can influence things that effect your life. I've contributed my time on many local campaigns, wrote and got patitions on the ballet, and razed public awareness of city corruption. We found my daughter has a learning disability when she was 7 years old, and if my wife and I were passive and accepted what was offered to help her, she would have been babysat and swept under the rug. In advocating for her we pushed back hard to get her the help she needed, and in middle school she's a straight A student. 

This changes what matters in my world.

• Like 2

Not a waste of time to recognise what has happened or will happen , and what it will cost us. It is difficult to convince people what your observations tell you.

Really not a complaint, just not sure the reality of the situation is on anyone's mind.

For example there are way to many surfers in the water.

"Convince people of what your observations tell you".

I get to have observations, if I think I am important enough or what I have to say is important enough to convince people of anything..well that is just my own self centered delusion.

Philosophy 101.

You are telling me there are too many surfers in the water.

I am countering with  I am glad to live in climate where I can surf year round.

They weren't in denial internally. The just covered it up and moved offenders elsewhere. What better place to diddle children than to become a Catholic priest? In the past... absolutely untouchable, unheard of, unspeakable, impossible, unbelievable.

About 1/4 of the US is Catholic. Between 2007 and 2015 1/5 or 20% have left. Or put another way for every new member there are 6 that leave. 13% of all Americans say they are 'former Catholics" The worst loss of membership of any church.

Like it or not civilization has changed and the church has not kept up. Maybe it shouldn't on some things that keep our civilization together and strong. Now you might say that any elders (church or others) are too strict, stuck in their 'old ways' but they have the wisdom to know what works and what does not. This has been true for thousands of years.

Mankind universally has a blind spot when it comes to belief in a higher power than themselves. They cloak it in mysticism, lore and legend rather than really thinking about how things really are. If enough people believe in a thing it then becomes true... no matter how ridiculous it really is. People are either thinking for themselves now or are just fed up with religions in general. 

Perv-fighting rabbi: They're out to kill me

A Brooklyn Rabbi who has been outspoken about child molestation in the city's ultra-Orthodox Jewish community said yesterday he's been targeted with death threats.

Nuchem (Nathan) Rosenberg, 58, complained outside the 90th Precinct in Williamsburg that cops have ignored his pleas for help since the summer.

The threats were so frightening, Rosenberg said, that he closed down a hotline he had set up in February 2007 for victims of abuse.

Assemblyman Dov Hikind (D-Brooklyn) has recently begun collecting his own stories of pedophilia in the ultra-Orthodox world and claims he has "hundreds" of complaints against rabbis and other Orthodox leaders.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/perv-fighting-rabbi-nuchem-rosenberg-kill-article-1.337171

Probably just some anti Semite douchebag. Claim it's a hate crime and see if that gets the ball rolling.

Oy vey, Mike.....

New York baby contracts herpes from circumcision rite

NYC Board of Health reports infant hospitalized due to infection from mohel sucking blood directly from wound

Metzitzah b’peh is a ritual in which the person performing the circumcision, known as a mohel, sucks blood from the wound directly with the mouth following circumcision. It is a common practice among some ultra-Orthodox Jews and has been linked directly to the transmission of the herpes virus. Many Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox Jews instead request that the mohel use a sterile pipette to avoid direct contact, which minimizes the risk of infection.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/new-york-baby-contracts-herpes-from-circumcision-rite/

How sky-high housing costs make California the poorest state

California leads the nation once again in a statistic no state wants to boast about.

When the cost of living is factored in, the Golden State has the highest poverty rate in the country. More than 20 percent of its residents struggle to make ends meet, according to recently released Census figures. That’s nearly 8 million people.

In the less sophisticated “official” measure, a family of four in San Francisco or Los Angeles or San Diego faces exactly the same poverty threshold—$24,339 annually—as a family in rural Mississippi. That’s despite the fact that you can rent a three-bedroom, two-bathroom 1,200-square-foot house in Horn Lake, Mississippi, for the same price ($850 a month) as half a living room in the Bay Area.

California has been the poorest state in the nation under the vastly more sophisticated “supplemental” poverty measure since the alternative statistic was created (Mississippi is poorest under the old measure). It’s not even really that close: Florida has the second highest rate, at 18.7 percent.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/09/27/how-sky-high-housing-costs-make-california-the-poorest-state/?ito=792&utm_content=buffer817df&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer