February 16, 2018

FBI Statement on the Shooting in Parkland, Florida

On January 5, 2018, a person close to Nikolas Cruz contacted the FBI’s Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to report concerns about him. The caller provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.

Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life. The information then should have been forwarded to the FBI Miami Field Office, where appropriate investigative steps would have been taken.

We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5. The information was not provided to the Miami Field Office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time.

FBI Director Christopher Wray said:

“We are still investigating the facts. I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public. It’s up to all Americans to be vigilant, and when members of the public contact us with concerns, we must act properly and quickly.

“We have spoken with victims and families, and deeply regret the additional pain this causes all those affected by this horrific tragedy. All of the men and women of the FBI are dedicated to keeping the American people safe, and are relentlessly committed to improving all that we do and how we do it.”

• Replies 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/16/13-russian-nationals-indicted-for-interfering-in-us-elections.html

Mueller charges 13 Russian nationals and 3 Russian entities

The indictment said the defendants purchased political advertisements on social media in the names of U.S. persons and entities. It also accuses them of staging political rallies inside the United States while posing as U.S. grassroots groups.

According to the special counsel, the indictment charges the defendants with conspiracy to defraud the United States, three defendants with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank fraud and five defendants with aggravated identity theft.

We already know Meuller did not have anything, So he indicted some Russians for what the US is doing on a daily basis.

• Like 2

Firearms makers... "Hey! we just make them. Who or how they are used is not out responsibility.

Gun sellers... Hey! I just sell them... I can't know how they are used."

Gun rights activists... " Hey, everyone has the right to buy, collect and own guns. What they do with them is not our problems"

Police.... "Hey we do what we can with the laws that exist"

Lawmakers... "Hey we have enough gun laws... the NRA has told us so.

NRA.... "Hey! if everyone was armed this would never have happened in the first place"

^^^^ quite possibly one of the most spot on posts of yours I think I’ve ever read Mike.

Don't forget treasury secretary Steve Mnuchin also worked for GS. Related or not related, just an anecdote.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-economy-growth-goldman-sachs-2018-2

Goldman Sachs CEO gives Trump credit for the economy, says it's better than if Hillary Clinton won

This has to be rocking Hildabeast to the core, the one place she could get paid 100k for just walking in the front door has turned on her.

• Like 1

Firearms makers... "Hey! we just make them. Who or how they are used is not out responsibility.

Gun sellers... Hey! I just sell them... I can't know how they are used."

Gun rights activists... " Hey, everyone has the right to buy, collect and own guns. What they do with them is not our problems"

Police.... "Hey we do what we can with the laws that exist"

Lawmakers... "Hey we have enough gun laws... the NRA has told us so.

NRA.... "Hey! if everyone was armed this would never have happened in the first place"

We have tons of laws and the last I heard, Murder was still a crime. We don't need the NRA to tell us we have to many laws. It is pretty common knowledge for us in California. 

Again, easy for someone who does not live here to point fingers and tell us how it is. And when stupid laws get passed and nothing happens, then they start hooping and hollering on how the laws are working! Until something happens, and then they need more laws. 

A hunter kills a lion, that hunter is a piece of shit! A killer shoots people, hey! That gun is piece of shit! Something is wrong with that narrative. 

• Like 2

It would be quite easy to connect the firearms background check database to a pharmaceutical database. The database would need to comply with HIPAA standards. And flags could be non descript. You go on this med, you can't own guns. You own guns, you can't go on this med. background checks for gun ownership could include a psyc eval, but that would be a huge hurdle in legislation.

HIPAA laws are very clear in that none of your medical records can be revealed without your direct consent or a judges order. Giving the gov blanket access to even a small part of your medication records is a slippery slope that has many implications to rights of privacy under the 4th. It's always bugged me that in fighting so passionately for the 2nd in the name of our personal safety, people are all too willing to give up their 4th amendment right's to privacy from the very government they're defending against.

Dguy remarked that the AK47s effectiveness in combatting the US military in the Middle East is proof it would work the same way here. As though all Americans would be fighting on one side, or that infiltrating any quickly formed resistance wouldn't be a synch, or the gov knowing who lives where and what guns they have, the ability to view your social media history and tap all your electronic devices. Thanks to everyone's short sightedness in defending themselves against "terrorists" the NSA can listen to everything we say etc, ect. Rise up against the gov and you will be labeled a terrorist. At that point your enemy has a $52.6 billion budget for covert intel alone to make sure you don't succeed. If we are suspicious of our government, why have we been so foolish to have pissed away our 4th amendment rights? It's simple, at our core we trust our government will protect us from all enemies foreign and domestic. Who gets to define enemy though?

That's paraphrasing a bit, but this is the stale worn out rhetoric I was talking about that's gotten us stalled here. So where can we modify this closed loop to make a difference and still protect the 2nd, and our safety?

Damn, we’re getting somewhere now. You are so damn right about the stale rhetoric. It’s also complete bullshit. From the police line down it’s just patently false. Law enforcement doesn’t enforce a large percentage of firearms laws, politicians don’t give a shit about anything but re-election, the NRA is a crooked assed revenue generator that could care less about the rights of anyone not rich enough to be a member at some stuffy assed trent and brent shooting club. Background checks need to be more thorough at a mental health/medical level. I probably won’t sound like the republican redneck I am, but crazies, visually impaired people shouldn’t be able to purchase or possess a firearm. If medical records were legitly linked to ncic, many of these people wouldn’t have legal access. Next, make straw purchase a federal felony with a stiff mandatory minimum. You have to be able to prove you can see good enough for a drivers license, why not for a firearms purchase. These are actual common sense things that could help, unlike obamas version of common cents.

• Like 1

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-economy-growth-goldman-sachs-2018-2

Goldman Sachs CEO gives Trump credit for the economy, says it's better than if Hillary Clinton won

This has to be rocking Hildabeast to the core, the one place she could get paid 100k for just walking in the front door has turned on her.

Did you know Trump has 6 ex Goldman employees in his cabinet? Who do you think was the largest contributor to the Trump super pac? Do you think Goldman Sacks benefited financially from a 21% corporate tax cut? But Trump's not in bed with bankers like Hillary, right?

Edited: had to add one more  :D

• Like 1

Damn, we’re getting somewhere now. You are so damn right about the stale rhetoric. It’s also complete bullshit. From the police line down it’s just patently false. Law enforcement doesn’t enforce a large percentage of firearms laws, politicians don’t give a shit about anything but re-election, the NRA is a crooked assed revenue generator that could care less about the rights of anyone not rich enough to be a member at some stuffy assed trent and brent shooting club. Background checks need to be more thorough at a mental health/medical level. I probably won’t sound like the republican redneck I am, but crazies, visually impaired people shouldn’t be able to purchase or possess a firearm. If medical records were legitly linked to ncic, many of these people wouldn’t have legal access. Next, make straw purchase a federal felony with a stiff mandatory minimum. You have to be able to prove you can see good enough for a drivers license, why not for a firearms purchase. These are actual common sense things that could help, unlike obamas version of common cents.

Agreed up until you combined visually impaired people with mentally ill. I don't know of any shootings accidental or otherwise perpetrated by blind folks. Or drivers licenses being revoke due to mental illness for that matter.

If it was a jab though... it was a damn good one.  :thumbup:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/16/13-russian-nationals-indicted-for-interfering-in-us-elections.html

Mueller charges 13 Russian nationals and 3 Russian entities

The indictment said the defendants purchased political advertisements on social media in the names of U.S. persons and entities. It also accuses them of staging political rallies inside the United States while posing as U.S. grassroots groups.

According to the special counsel, the indictment charges the defendants with conspiracy to defraud the United States, three defendants with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank fraud and five defendants with aggravated identity theft.

We already know Meuller did not have anything, So he indicted some Russians for what the US is doing on a daily basis.

I thought Meuller's investigation was Russias attempts to influence the US election? And no, you don't really know what Meuller has, so please stop using "we" in statements like that, unless you define who that we is. 

Uber driver didn't know. FBI had him on their list and failed to follow tru.

True, whole lot of people dropped the ball on this one. Still if you were the last one in between the shooter and 17 kids,....... tell me that would no weight on you, even not knowing what was about to happen.

• Like 1

Agreed up until you combined visually impaired people with mentally ill. I don't know of any shootings accidental or otherwise perpetrated by blind folks. Or drivers licenses being revoke due to mental illness for that matter.

If it was a jab though... it was a damn good one.  :thumbup:

Not a jab, I’m just saying a legally blind person with a gun is dangerous for the same reason as a legally blind person with a car...accidents happen. I can’t remember off the top of my head, it was a damn long time ago, I read about a woman trying to help her husband who was fighting a home invader. Her sight was bad and she accidentally shot her husband, invader fled and hubby didn’t make it. I admit it’s only one example, but I've seen people with obvious imparement at a local shooting spot...it’s a scary thought. I didn’t necessarily mean to combine the two, just that any imparement that gets you refused for one should apply to the other. Crazies shouldn’t have cars either, road rage gets many people killed every year.

As for hippa laws, there has to be a way to mandate doctors to report people to the ncic database without including any records. If a person has any of a set of criteria that would get them failed on an ncic check they’d get flagged, no records necessary. I don’t think that’s too far of a stretch as long as the criteria for being flagged was set in stone with no human judgments involved. Get committed, flag. Suicidal, flag. Proscribed psych meds, flag. Thing of that nature.

• Like 1

Did you know Trump has 6 ex Goldman employees in his cabinet? Who do you think was the largest contributor to the Trump super pac? Do you think Goldman Sacks benefited financially from a 21% corporate tax cut? But Trump's not in bed with bankers like Hillary, right?

Edited: had to add one more  :D

Care to imagine a Hillary economic society?

Not a jab, I’m just saying a legally blind person with a gun is dangerous for the same reason as a legally blind person with a car...accidents happen. I can’t remember off the top of my head, it was a damn long time ago, I read about a woman trying to help her husband who was fighting a home invader. Her sight was bad and she accidentally shot her husband, invader fled and hubby didn’t make it. I admit it’s only one example, but I've seen people with obvious imparement at a local shooting spot...it’s a scary thought. I didn’t necessarily mean to combine the two, just that any imparement that gets you refused for one should apply to the other. Crazies shouldn’t have cars either, road rage gets many people killed every year.

As for hippa laws, there has to be a way to mandate doctors to report people to the ncic database without including any records. If a person has any of a set of criteria that would get them failed on an ncic check they’d get flagged, no records necessary. I don’t think that’s too far of a stretch as long as the criteria for being flagged was set in stone with no human judgments involved. Get committed, flag. Suicidal, flag. Proscribed psych meds, flag. Thing of that nature.

I hear you man. and for the most part agree with everything you've said. I lost my drivers license due to vision loss, but I still own two cars. Might sound foolish, but I still own guns and I'm not going to attempt to rationalize that here. I just don't want to give them up. 

As for some mechanism for auto flagging to restrict gun ownership I would be all for it if there were some recourse to have it reviewed before a judge. Some times perfectly normal people get depressed for many reasons and seek medications to help them right their shit so to speak. So many variables and gray area between here and there.

• Like 2