Andres131313

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey so I noticed a leak in the intake/exhaust manifold gasket were water was coming out. I took of the manifold and found that the back bolt on the head that holds both manifolds was stripped. I drilled and tapped it and it's fine. But then I looked down the intake (that I just cleaned!) and it was coated in this brownish black sticky stuff. I know the gas was good and new. The engine only backfired 5 times after the rebiuld when I was starting it for the first time. Not only were the ports in the head coated the manifold was inside too. I removed all the plugs and sprayed 3 bottles of carb cleaner down the ports in the head and let them soak. I didn't know if this would cause a stuck valve like old gas does.

E9840100-AC2C-4CEF-9BB0-288BD816C8A8_zps

What is this?

Also I'm losing gas somewhere. I don't know if the original owner did something to the lines but I can see like 6 of them coming off of the tank. 39 miles and a tank of gas is no way normal.

maybe shoot soem carb cleaner in the intake to clean the brown But I wouldnt worry to much about it.

Gas leak? I heard if gas goin in the crankcase cause of a bad mechanical fuel pump it will get sucked in but you should see this in the oil and get More Full.

as for the 39miles and 1 tank is totally unbieliveable unless you draining out the back soemwhere and should smell gas.

You never mention that or your gas gauge is off. You actull drive 39 miles then put 8.8 to 10 gals of gas in the tank?

float not set right and your running with the chokeON and have a pin hole in tank or loose line You drive around a corner and the gas cap missing

all combined you should still get better than 39 miles per tank

I had 2 yr old gas in my yellow car and still runs.

2 stroke gas even longer for the chain saw

do the basics first again time motor ck the settings of everthing.

The compression is great so I know the valve seats are ok. How many likes should be coming out of the tank? I see lines going down the bottom of the take through the hole but there are a few on top I think the previous owner put in. Also in the filling pipe right behind the cap there is an outlet looking hole. Have no clue what that is there for if it's open or not. Oil tastes fine. Level is still the same. The choke is off all the time. I need to get a new choke thermostat. When I finished the rebiuld I reset the trip. On the odometer filled it with 101 and let it seat in for an hour or 2. Topped it off and drove. Every day when I get in it seems like the gas gadge is lower then when i parked it the day before. Still having a problem with the idel circuit. can't get it to run any lower then 1,600 rpm. And when I brake it wants to die. ( clutch is all the way in)

Still having a problem with the idel circuit. can't get it to run any lower then 1,600 rpm. ????

float level? spped screw? idle mixute? 2ndary side open causeing to run higher?

timming?

thought this was all fixed as you said you wanted a LSD diff in this.LSD means you really have money to get the more importnat things(like a weber)

Be honest the faster you get a Weber 32/36 the better

No the stock carb and all stock smog equipment must be on and working. Visual and a smog test must pass.

If tank is emptying, look under car for wet spots or stay up all night to see who is siphoning it out.

You may have new gas but the tank may be full of gunk. This crap will pass through the carb and the gas evaporate in the intake leaving the gunk.

Mike's right, the choke blade isn't fully opened (yet?).....BUT that hunting, struggling sorta idle sure sounds lean to me, like there's an air leak somewheres :confused: ?

Being as there is a few emissions related pieces on that car (all vacuum operated) it's possible one or more are leaking air and causing your high lean idle.

Maybe?? lol

good luck,

--Ray

Well the BCDD vacuum line isn't connected. Didn't I mention the BCDD may be set too sensitive and need turning down. It acts like an a carb inside the carb to provide gas and air when decelerating. Would explain the high long rev down to 'idle'.

There is an anti backfire valve that dumps air into the intake under certain conditions. Maybe small leak?

That's a good video, taking us along for a quick spin in a car with somewhat open exhaust is helpful as it makes it easy to hear what you're dealing with :)

Definitely lean.....as you take off at constant throttle (I didnt hear you pumping it) it "bogs" and dies or tries to. You have a huge vacuum leak Andres (or your carb has a plugged primary jet, but you said before it was clean). 

Here's what I would do......pull the air cleaner so you can get to the carb and hoses etc, At the base of the carb there will be one or two hoses connected.....pull them both and cap the open connections on the carb. I believe the later 510 like yours uses a power brake system, so pull the hose from the manifold that feeds the booster and again cap the open connector on the manifold.

Now try and fire the engine, hopefully it will have a much different personality and you will have found the leak. IF it runs the same then you can rule out what you capped off and move on. You might be dealing with a warped carb body OR since I believe that L20B uses the combined intake/exhaust manifolds then it may be leaking at that joint.......just need to rule stuff out :)

Keep at it, the video's help!

good luck,

--Ray

• Like 2

Found a leak. Didn't real have to check I had a feeling it repair I did to my Egr tube would fail. Going to a brass company this week to see if they can make me a new one.

You like that sound don't Ya. My neighbors don't. For a long time I didn't have a muffler of because I didn't have a bracket in the back. (Still don't) but it settled in a spot it likes. I miss that sound. Probably going to put a cut out on

The big EGR tube from the exhaust? If that's leaking it will be loud but that's not where your vacuum leak is coming from.......like I mentioned, plug off any hose connections coming from the carb (sure the vac advance will be inop but for what you are looking for it won't bother it idling) and see if you can pin it down......should be a helluva leak somewhere...lol.

--Ray