L20b questions

Andres131313

I'm just going to make one thread of all my questions instead of multiple. So the shop said they put new valve seats in but when I checked the valves were never even touched. (Guess they figured I wouldn't check). I have never seen rusty seats. All the Intake valves are rusted from bottom to seal. The exhaust is rusted on the seats only. I tried part cleaner to see if it would break it up but it is still hard as a rock. I already got pissed at the shop for charging me for it when it clearly wasn't reseated. I'm capable of machining them myself with my mill but it's really time consuming. Should I just reseat them with new valves? I have never seen valves with rust this bad and I have no idea what to do.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I already took it in and showed them. I really didn't like their work ethic. I always clean ever little shaving out of a costumers piece I machine.they don't and they have 40 years on me. I took the valve cover off and there were chips everywhere. I don't know if you guys a familiar to machining aluminum but it leaves string like chips that will never simply fall into the bottom of the oil pan.

I meant this one.

8C08F224-0339-4249-9FD5-9E81219F188E_zps

EGR valve. Mixes small amount of inert exhaust gasses to reduce combustion temperatures.

4AF44DD1-B42F-4E87-A96B-75A77E6B4919_zps

This is the combination PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve and EGR valve manifold. EGR part looks plugged. Won't hurt to leave it that way.

Rockauto has cali-emissions EGR's in stock for under $11.  I don't know if Cali tests for HC under load, but if it does you want that working.  Otherwise, it just needs to look functional, since they won't take it apart to check.  What you don't want it to do is leak, since that screws up idle emissions.

The car never idled to begin with. When I cleaned the dual shut off and mixture screw it idled beautifully but after reving it up high and taking my foot off it would die. It sounded like it hand no fuel at all when the rpm is dropping. It doesn't even try. I have to drive with my foot on the gas at all times.

• Like 1

Because I don't exactly have room for a hoist. I'm working on my own so I can't really ask anyone to help me. I got it on and yes I watched your videos. I must have missed that part. It's going back together for the time being till I get a week off of school so I can go in and finish it.