datsun 710 sedan coilover help?!

Eddie 710

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going for looks, then get the coil overs. Just about anything will do that fits over a 2" strut tube. There are limits to how low you can go as the strut may bottom out and that should be avoided. Replacing the stock struts with a set of '79-'83 280sx struts will automatically drop the height by about an inch and a half but the best part is the massive zx calipers and vented rotors on them. Stock 710 springs are about 100 lb.per in. I'm running 150 on my 710 goon with '84 Maxima struts and slightly less on my stock 710 sedan struts.

If all you want an adjustable ride height, but lets face it, once adjusted to where you like it it usually stays there and then what good is adjust-ability then???, and you don't mind a little work, and saving money, you can get the same thing for about $30.   

You'll need to do some research on this strut swap as the camber is affected by the lowering. 

300zx non turbo are 4 bolt rim but the turbos are 5 so no good. Also the caliper it truly massive and you will need 14" rims maybe 15" to clear them. Strut length is even shorter than the 280zx.

The 280zx (not 280z) struts are 4 bolt wheels and you will need 14" rims to clear the calipers.

Here is the Maxima and stock 710 struts. The 280zx would be similar.

1TBexternalharddrive004Large.jpg

Spring shortened to raise the rate to 150 and adjustable collars mounted.

strutmodsfor747100011Large.jpg

Finished product. Larger caliper, vented rotors, adjustable ride height and increased spring rate for $25. The Maxima struts were free and I bought new rotors and some spray paint.

710strutupgrade004Large.jpg

Here is an option as well.  

I shortened the 710 strut housing to fit a 280zx insert (KYB, $30ish dollars each).  This cost a little more than Datzenmike paid but I thought it was still affordable.  I ended up choosing this route because I already had the 710 struts which cost me nothing (the 280zx ones that I found locally turned out to be not usable anyhow).  But....I also wanted a brake upgrade as well so I went with the parts listed below to achieve that. 

As a note, my 14" wheels do not clear the brake calipers and I will have to go with a 15" wheel which I had planned to do anyhow.

Now.....I haven't driven this setup yet, and as such have no feedback on how it works yet.  As for the brake adapters, you'd have to talk to Mike Klotz to see if he has more.

image130.jpg

Here is the list of what I used:

Klotz brake adapters

1995 Infiniti G20 Calipers 

1994 Nissan Altima rotors (the outside of the 710 hubs needed to be machined to fit inside the rotor)

1979 Honda Accord Springs (cut one coil, resulting in approx 190ish lbs/in using formula)

Split collars

280zx strut insert

Shortened stock 710 strut 

This is just one another alternative.........

Good one and makes do with what you have on hand.

I might add that lowering a vehicle also places it closer to road dangers so excessive suspension travel should be reduced if reasonable.  A dip in the road at 60 that squats the stock suspension but clears might be a disaster in a car that is 2-3" lower. A good way to reduce the travel is to run an increased spring rate.  A happy extra is that the car will sit more level in a corner with less 'tipping' to the outside and the lower ride height also lowers the center of gravity.

One property of a coil spring is that when you remove a coil the spring becomes stiffer and harder to compress. The spring rate is measured in pounds per inch. The stock 710 is rated at about 100 lb. per in. Or it takes 100 pounds to compress the spring one inch. There are formulas for working out the spring rate so I worked out my 710 spring and the one that was on the Maxima strut. I figured to go with 150 lb/in. or a 50% increase. I trimmed my spring with the same angle grinder. Just remember once cut you can't go back so a bit soft is better than a bit too hard. I'm good with 150 yet some 510s are over 200 and race 510s are 300 and more. You want to be comfortable driving around so easy does it, no sense having blood in your urine from driving.

As long as you have the strut out of the car and the spring off, it's time to remove the gland nut and remove the damper inside the strut tube. If you, or a previous owner, has never had it apart then it likely has the original oil bath dampers. If they have been replaced with sealed throw away inserts then just buy new ones. But, if you have the original dampers, for under $20 you can drain the thin watery hydraulic oil and refill them with a thicker weight oil. I drained mine and replaced with 20W Belray motorcycle fork oil. The thicker oil is harder to push through the internal valving and firms them up. Fork oil is full of anti foam and rust inhibitors.

datzenmike - Do you remember how much fork oil is needed to refill both 280ZX front struts (I assume the same amount as the Maxima ones you used or close to the same)? After a deer strolled out in front of my 510 a couple of weeks ago I realize it is time to install the ZX struts and brakes I've been hoarding. Better brakes can't be a bad idea!

Len

Roughly 300ml (give or take) so a liter or US qt. should do three struts. More than two for sure.

Motorcyclists can tune their suspension by raising or lowering the viscosity of their fork oil. Why not struts? 

Roughly 300ml (give or take) so a liter or US qt. should do three struts. More than two for sure.

Motorcyclists can tune their suspension by raising or lowering the viscosity of their fork oil. Why not struts? 

Thanks! I hoped maybe a quart would do two struts, but had absolutely no idea. If I can get a pair of 510 springs from one of the local Datsun guys here I can cut them down a coil or so and have the ZX struts all assembled to swap onto the 510. I have split collars already. My wife's car quit so she is driving the 510 to work which is rather cool. She always just tolerated my Datsun habit, but now I think she and the 510 have bonded. :D I'm demoted to driving the 200SX. She still wants a modern car with air, cruise, and all of that but until she finds one, I'd better not disable "her" 510. So I need to swap the struts on as quickly as possible. I'll be done with wheat harvest in another week or so and have time to work on the 510.

Len

• 9 months later...

The struts were only made in '74 through '77 by Nissan. There are no replacements except maybe at the dealer and why you can buy the inserts.  Did they have the original oil bath dampers still? You should save them. Cheaper to refill than buy new inserts.