Betcha can't have just one. Or two... (Ford Courier

That's pretty much exactly how it sounds. Now not only am I neck deep in my 240Z resto (I should really update that soon) but the girlfriend wants a truck in our lives. Luckily she's one of the best girlfriends a guy could ask for because on Tuesday after work we drove a 5 hour round trip to go buy a pair of 1976 Ford Couriers. These are awesome little trucks and are a direct competitor to the Datsun 620. Although style wise they're more inline with the earlier 520. 

Of course these are almost identical to the Mazda B-Series trucks which makes my life easier because parts has just been spread between two manufacturers instead of just one. So at the very least I'll be able to keep it running even if I can't keep it pretty. I best learn to shape some metal.

But enough is enough. It's picture time. I've only got a few for now but I'll be picking up the other truck tomorrow and sunday I'll start wrenching.

toBvgOo.jpg

acVW4oG.jpg

njuOMy6.jpg

4Pltz76.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They pretty much are Mazda's.   I saw a 1974 Ford Courier when they first cam e out, and the seatbelts had the "M"  letter in them.  "M" for Mazda.  Chevy Luv trucks were Izuzu made.

But honestly, quality control on almost ANY Japanese vehicle in the mid 1970's was way better than what domestic car manufacturers were doing.  

By the way, I have the interior rear view mirror out of a Mazda B-2000 in my 521.  The ball mount is the same size.

They did add 3 inches in 1976, which is why it's confusing because the white truck doesn't have the longer cab but the plate does state 1976 right on it... The gold one is actually a 1974. The swap itself looks solid but it's obvious it hasn't run in ages and I don't plan on cleaning it up and getting that lump running again. Everything else on that truck is in great shape so I'll keep it around and turn it into a project once I get everything else in good order.

The previous owner wasn't going to sell one without the other unless he absolutely had to. 

I'll have to take a closer look at it then. Obviously model years were a little more malleable back then.

The white truck runs great but I have no idea on it's service history so it's gunna get a full blown tune up. Then my GF and I will be taking care of the rust one panel at a time.

Yeah it is a two piece. Honestly I'm not so sure about his assessment of the steady bearing. It doesn't shake or thump and I had it up to 80kph on the road on a test drive. He openly admitted to me that he's no mechanic when I bought them.

The white one is going up on the hoist this Saturday cause I need to figure out an e-brake cable setup for it. I've also got parts coming to put this thing through a full blown tune up. Also I'm adding a tach because I really would like to know what the engine is spinning at, especially when shifting.

For now though, this is what the seat looks like. We'll be adding buckets once they come in.

id3qFBR.jpg

svo521 I just checked your build thread. The engine you've got is what I want to eventually slam into the orange truck. Followed by airbagging for performance not just for low. I'd love to turn it into a real sport truck that makes modern ecoboost F150s feel inadequate. :rofl:

• Like 1

svo521 I just checked your build thread. The engine you've got is what I want to eventually slam into the orange truck. Followed by airbagging for performance not just for low. I'd love to turn it into a real sport truck that makes modern ecoboost F150s feel inadequate. :rofl:

Yeah they are fun engines.  I'm swapping mine out for a 5.0 for a little bit.  got some noise under the valve cover(needs ranger roller cam)  Might look into making it a 16v folvo hehehe.  have fun with those new projects.

Z chopper: More oics coming on Saturday. I was so happy just to drive it around the farm last week I forgot to take more than just the seat patch job we did.

svo521: Do the Volvo head swap, super cool and even with all the info online about them they're still not that common.

• Like 1