crazy thought!!

red13

Im looking around at different option.  Getting a head for my l16 is been little tricky and difficult.  I just bought a w53 closed head didnt realize till I got it, but the mating surface has extra pits.  Anyways Im still hunting, but while I wait maybe I can get some crazy thought going.  I seethe forums and how people talk about putting a l20b head on a z24 block.  Well my question is can you put a z24 head on a l16 block.  one reason I ask is besides doing it ratsun style It seems easier to get ahold of one of these heads then a closed head.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt it will have good compression numbers, likely 6 to 1 or something even lower, I am guessing the ridiculous, but it would not surprise me at all.

The L16 likes L16 heads, it's one of the few blocks that it's not good to change the head unless you are going to use different pistons.

BTW, the L16 likes to rev, the Z24 head is made for torque.

Z24 or Z22 head from a 720 on an L16 gives 6.6 compression.

The smaller chamber Z20 head from a Mileage option 720 would give 7.7.

I just bought a w53 closed head didnt realize till I got it, but the mating surface has extra pits.

As the closed chamber head also lowers the compression slightly (8.21) on an L16 why not have the surface plained slightly? It will remove the pits and raise the compression.

what i want to do is run an a87 closed head with 240z l24 flat top pistons with valve reliefs

L16 bored out to 86mm from 83mm? and flattop L28 pistons is 10.3 compression with a stock head. If using an A-87 peanut head it's 9.822, much better

I'm trying to keep it original with the l16 the only upgrade was the 5 speed,but what u selling the tuck for?

Hardly original with a 5 speed, A87 head and L28 flattops now is it? You won't be able to tell the difference if you put an L20B in there. Only difference is it's 3/4" taller and makes about 20 more hp, which is way more than flattops and A-87 head..