Could I get help getting a price for this 280z ?

Centra

I'm looking to buy my very first Datsun, however I have little to no knowledge in the car (taking a mechanic class @ college during the fall). I would like to know if anyone here could give me an appraisal for this car, I texted him and he is asking for $7,000. I hope this is the right place to post. Thank you!. 

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/cto/4582723493.html

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well first off, what are your intentions ? buy and drive? swap project? 

because what you're going to pay will determine what to do with it,

car has a re spray, and was rust addressed, crack in bondo on driver side door ? from what bad prep, too thick?  crappy work from a previous owner could spell trouble shortly after you buy it, 

well first off, what are your intentions ? buy and drive? swap project? 

because what you're going to pay will determine what to do with it,

car has a re spray, and was rust addressed, crack in bondo on driver side door ? from what bad prep, too thick?  crappy work from a previous owner could spell trouble shortly after you buy it, 

I'm looking to daily drive, I"m going to start college soon and I am working. I'm willing to put in work to it after a couple months little by little. 

hood is the wrong color.

I'd pay around 5 for it if it drove straight and wobble free to 80mph. 

pull the plugs to check for irregular burn.  This may help you decide to pay less.

listen closely to the transmission for odd noises.  

check the floor pans for rust.  That happens all the time.  

I'm looking to daily drive, I"m going to start college soon and I am working. I'm willing to put in work to it after a couple months little by little. 

I'm putting this as diplomatically as i can as i have one son in college and one most likely headed to University in two years..  How in the holy begeezus are you able to buy a 7000. dollar project car if your going to college?

To answer you,, it seems high for the seemingly easy fixes that aren't fixed. Meaning the problems discribed may be a cover for something more wrong with it.

• Like 3

I'm putting this as diplomatically as i can as i have one son in college and one most likely headed to University in two years..  How in the holy begeezus are you able to buy a 7000. dollar project car if your going to college?

To answer you,, it seems high for the seemingly easy fixes that aren't fixed.

I have my first two years on a scholarship and I'm working around 30-40 hours a week earning $12/hour. Not much, but I'm not thinking of making HUGE upgrades in one month or two otherwise I'll never get anything done, instead I'll be putting in small things at a time hopefully get it to my expectations in a couple of years. 

Upgrades are one thing but,,  ad says needs brake booster,,,, meaning the brakes don't work for shit and their clutching at straws as to why.

Ad also says needs a TPS meaning ,  it either doesn't run or idle for shit and they have changed other stuff and are guessing it is that. And why wouldn't you put a Ebay ignition lock set in the car if your asking that much?  The bondo ,, meh that don't scare me as old cars are going to be banged around some.

And good luck with college.

:)

Opinions expressed about this ad are the opinions of this poster no rhesus monkeys were harmed in this reply.

• Like 1

Upgrades are one thing but,,  ad says needs brake booster,,,, meaning the brakes don't work for shit and their clutching at straws as to why.

Ad also says needs a TPS meaning ,  it either doesn't run or idle for shit and they have changed other stuff and are guessing it is that. And why wouldn't you put a Ebay ignition lock set in the car if your asking that much?  The bondo ,, meh that don't scare me as old cars are going to be banged around some.

I wen't ahead and offered him $4,500 but just like many West coasters who think they hit the jackpot with a 75's car he'll call my a crazy. I'll reply in a bit.