R200 swap into 510. Whats needed

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but have to mod the half shfts at least one side.

R180 you just cut the dust cover on the 510 Hlf shaft or maybe 220z half shafts.

Me and Icehouse did a R180 conversion and its EZ we made a vid but bababooey has it soemwhere hopefull he was going to load it up on You tube

also seen Rich;s bluebird coup witrh a R200 also and it was done up good. I think needs a mustache bar mod also.

• Like 2

according to one of the guys who said he did it:

this just from my experience with my previous 510, i installed a R200 into it and had a hell of a time getting it in the slot of the cross member, i even had to slightly flatten the spare tire well to get it to fit. then i had to modify the mustache bar because the two studs on the rear cover are spaced different from the r160. 

there was a write up on DQ about how to shorten the half shaft and how much, i think it was just under one inch, also shorten the plastic ball bearing spacer and remove one ball bearing per spacer or something like that, just don't quote me on this,LOL 

i didn't do any of that crap,LOL. i just slapped the stock 510 half shafts on and away i went. i never had any bottoming out that i knew of and just for the record i like my dimes dumped to the ground, i did have binding issues, but that was more from the massive u-joint angle i had from having the car so low.

but that's just my 1 cents worth 

if you run stock shitty camber you dont have to shorten the half shaft but if you want to have any hope of traction you shorten it it is easy i did it a couple months a go . here is a pic http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/halfshaft.jpg

you cut about 1/2 inch off the end then weld that washer with 4 nippels on the end there is write up some where on the net

• Like 1

gear ratio's are easy to swap. 

Done right they aren't.

The non turbo 5 speeds and automatic 300zx up to '86,and all 300zx after were R-200 and 3.70 ratio which isn't too bad.

The '84 turbo 200sx had 3.90 and the '85-'86 turbo had 4.11 both in R-200.

if you run stock shitty camber you dont have to shorten the half shaft but if you want to have any hope of traction you shorten it it is easy i did it a couple months a go . here is a pic http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/halfshaft.jpg

you cut about 1/2 inch off the end then weld that washer with 4 nippels on the end there is write up some where on the net

Thanks!  I don't want camber in the back if I don't have to.  As it is the car is pretty slick. 

Done right they aren't.

The non turbo 5 speeds and automatic 300zx up to '86,and all 300zx after were R-200 and 3.70 ratio which isn't too bad.

The '84 turbo 200sx had 3.90 and the '85-'86 turbo had 4.11 both in R-200.

I think the guy said it was from a 91 or a 96 non turbo automatic.  I was really helping to go lower then the 3.54 that I have now.  

google machine poops out

R200 long nose, 280Z, 280ZX, 300ZX

Ratios 3.36, 3.545, 3.70, 3.90

LSD April 1987 and newer turbo

I think the guy said it was from a 91 or a 96 non turbo automatic.  I was really helping to go lower then the 3.54 that I have now.  

I assumed you wouldn't want to mod your 510 too much. These R-200s are much shorter than the stock length R-160s.

Only the '89-'96 non turbo VG30Ds got the R-200 and all were 4.038 ratio and if LSD equipped they were of the viscous design

but have to mod the half shfts at least one side.

R180 you just cut the dust cover on the 510 Hlf shaft or maybe 220z half shafts.

Me and Icehouse did a R180 conversion and its EZ we made a vid but bababooey has it soemwhere hopefull he was going to load it up on You tube

also seen Rich;s bluebird coup witrh a R200 also and it was done up good. I think needs a mustache bar mod also.

Yeah sorry Hainz I am going to work that out soon I promise.

I just made an appointment with my techy pal...

• 2 weeks later...