My new 'old' 280ZX turbo - 1983

Bleach

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eBay and Technotoytuning.com prices are almost the same. Its the same guy selling them.

I saw them on eBay and emailed the owner. I ended up buying them directly from him like I would through his website. I've ordered from them before.

He said they are just now being produced for the 280ZX so I have to wait a couple weeks til they are shipped. I've seen them on Thrillin Dillion's 510 and they are beefy. oh, and I think Jeff had them too on his white SR20DET 510. I gotta have them if I plan to beat those dimes in illegal highway races ;)

That should be easy...last time I checked a Z is a little more aerodynamic than a 510...

An s130 and z31 are among some of the most aerodynamic Z cars made. The s30 was the least aerodynamic but it was also the first so that doesnt really help, lol. peace.

couldn't stay away could you

Nope! DesMoines rules. ;)

Nice find, I'm doing a run to Feltons, need some more turbo emblems?

:D I'm good on Turbo emblems. I'm just going to paint a giant rising sun on the hood with "TURBO" written accross the sun. That ought to get people to notice.

So I bought a Mustang short shifter on eBay.

It has adjustable shifting stops as well as the bottom plate that has a square opening in it allowing the shifter to only go so far.

I also bought a 2008 Mustang GT shifter knob to go with it. Its leather and silver. I like it.

The shifter itself has three holes so you can install this funky backwards angle piece like the Mustang requires. I'm going to cut the top mounting hole off so I can mount the shifter knob another 1/2 inch lower.

shifter01.jpgshifter06.jpg

shifter02.jpgshifter03.jpg

shifter04.jpg

shifter05.jpg

it does appear that the pivot point is a little higher up.

Overall, before cutting anything, even the shifter handle itself is lower. I'll drive it first before I cut anything

shifter07.jpg

shifter08.jpg

shifter09.jpg

I installed it and drove the car. The throw is really short now, even at this height. I will not cut it down any further. I think its shorter than the three fiddy's throw

thats nice man, that kinda looks a little like the one on that t5 that i took outta ur old car.. i was going to swap it over but anthony lost the upper part of the shifter which i found under the seat later on.. but its kind of a pita to get the 4 bolts off! but im sure u got better tools then i do an its not such a problem..

I did get this ratchetting wrench recently, but its still very hard to reach those forward bolts. This short shifter has a taller base plate and much thicker surround. I don't think I can reach those front two bolts except by being under the car.

The shifter on Anthonys car is a factory early 90's Mustang T5 shifter. This short shifter is a cheap $60 unit off eBay that fits Mustangs.

i see grass hopper.. that new one is still nice looking tho, anthony doesnt care either way but i do so i will change it over when i have time.. he will notice the difference when i doit.. but that wont be for a while now since winters hitting an the guy he rents his garage from doesnt want him workin on cars in there any more.. :( but we'll figure something out.. gotta get those gaskets an waste gate changed so he can start drivin this car an give his mom her POS POSeo back

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That's a damn good looking Turbo ZX, but why the fuck is the carpet green?

Oh and the 280ZX Turbo has nothing on the early 80's Toyota Hi-lux Turbo pick-up when it comes to badging. I drove one once and it had turbo badging on the tail gate, I think on the fenders, all over the interior door panels and seat upholstery.