Piston is clean?

I pulled the head of my l20b today and I was shocked to see that cylinder 3 was clean. I could see the metal instead of the carbon. All of the others are caked with it. On the head cylinders 1&2 had biuld up but 3&4 were almost clean. I looked and saw the hashing of a honer on the walls but some had a ghost like wight burn mark on the side. What is going on???

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so you pulled the head without reading about it, it tells you the steps in almost any book dealing with l series, and in some it gives a template or dimensions to make a chain stop, you will most likely be re timing the motor since it also looks like you are not at TDC, so expect to clean and re-seal timing cover and front of oil pan, and at this point inspect water pump, dont forget to drop oil pump bolt (i think one at least) before yanking timing cover.

white burn could be detonation and probably why HG failed

• Like 1

the more im reading this, you need to stop and get a book before you go any further. it seems like you are on a learning curve and thats fine, just try to teach yourself as much as possible before making a costly mistake(s).

also just curious... did you think you could just wrap the chain back around the cam sprocket and at any ol' toof?

• Like 1

so you pulled the head without reading about it, it tells you the steps in almost any book dealing with l series, and in some it gives a template or dimensions to make a chain stop, you will most likely be re timing the motor since it also looks like you are not at TDC, so expect to clean and re-seal timing cover and front of oil pan, and at this point inspect water pump, dont forget to drop oil pump bolt (i think one at least) before yanking timing cover.

white burn could be detonation and probably why HG failed

the more im reading this, you need to stop and get a book before you go any further. it seems like you are on a learning curve and thats fine, just try to teach yourself as much as possible before making a costly mistake(s).

also just curious... did you think you could just wrap the chain back around the cam sprocket and at any ol' toof?

Helpful, constructive criticism.  Rare these days. Good on you man!  Tendril is right.  Read read read read read, and read more.. then read again.  But, we're here to help :D

I pulled the head of my l20b today and I was shocked to see that cylinder 3 was clean. I could see the metal instead of the carbon. All of the others are caked with it. On the head cylinders 1&2 had biuld up but 3&4 were almost clean. I looked and saw the hashing of a honer on the walls but some had a ghost like wight burn mark on the side. What is going on???

You guys must think I'm stupid XD I'm rebiulding the whole damn thing! I just got it back from the machine shop! Trust me I have read that book all year. I know it's not set to TDC I did that so I could pull the crank and pistons. This is not my first rodeo. Lol

Your first post says nothing about your plans to bebuild. We see all kinds of stupid shit here.

More like my 3rd. I normally rebuild Chevys...real men own Chevys and a datsun.

.... and a drum of RTV.

• Like 1