Replacing diff

Last King

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start with removing the rear brakes completely, then unbolt the four bolt/nuts behind each backing plate that hold the axle shaft into the axle housing. You'll need a slide hammer to the pull the axles out first then you should be able to unbolt your diff and remove it.

Drain the differential. Why take the brakes off??? Just remove the hydraulic lines and pull the axle with everything on it out enough to disengage the spline in the differential on both sides. Undo the driveshaft at the front of diff. Unbolt the 10? nuts around the third member and pull it forward. Heavy so be ready. Reverse the same way. You will have to bleed the brakes..

Ya I realized I didn't need to take of the brakes so I left them n right now I can't get ahold of a slide hammer n I been trying to pull the axle out now for the past half hour but I can seem to get it to slide out is there any other way u suggest pulling out the axle without a slide hammer

Guest Rick-rat

Bolt a chain on one of the studs with a lug nut, needs to be a good sized chain with a couple feet of slack and then give it a hard fast jerk. You did remove the 4 backing plate bolts ??