Aftermarket Auto Meter Fuel Guage

So I've been looking around the forum to try and find the info I need before asking this question, but I'm still at a loss. I read in a post from about 4 years ago stating that, 8 ohms is full and that 83 or something like that was empty. But the auto meter guages I see all say that 0 ohms is empty and 90 ohms is full. So my real question is, is this guage going to work for me or is it backwards and not going to work? It's part number 5714 on auto meters website. http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2609&sid=7&gnid=-1&zid=2&cid=2&tid=-1§ionHash=color_tab-tab#

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated... if the temp gauge also doesn't work then the volt regulator in the dash is common to both and probably the cause.

Make sure the tank is well grounded first.

Ground the Yellow sender wire on the tank. If gauge reads Full then the sender is bad.

If no change the yellow wire may be broken between tank and dash.

Find the Yellow wire on the dash plug and ground it. If it reads Full there is a break in the wire between there and tank. If no change possibly the gauge is bad.

Datsun senders are

FULL...... 10 ohms or less.

3/4.......... 25 ohms

1/2.......... 40 ohms

1/4.......... 56 ohms

EMPTY... 80 or more ohms

The guage reads but not accurately, and I would like to use this auto meter guage since I've already changed out the temp guage for a mechanical auto meter guage. I just wanted to know if it would work or not since the site says 0 to 90 with 0 being empty and 90 being full.

No gauge made is that accurate.  The tank would have to be a uniform shape for that. Long as it's close just get used to knowing what's left. Mine drops fast to begin but the last half seems to take longer. It does not run out above empty and if I fill it touching empty there is still a gallon left... which is good for about 30+ miles.

Yeah that would read backwards.

I think so. It would read empty before is was.... which is good, to a point. But if there are two gallons left, it's two gallons you're carrying around that you never use. Knowing there is gas left you may start taking chances.

What does inaccurate mean on your stock gauge?

If you have a mechanical fuel gauge sender, you can pull the sender, and bend the wire between the float, and the sender body.  If you move the float down in relation to the sender body, the gas gauge will read higher.   Doing this may result in the gauge reading 1/4, when the tank is empty.

I keep track of the gas mileage of each tank of gas in my Datsun, this truck. 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/

The fuel gauge is slightly off, it does not read full.    It does read close as the tank gets close to empty.

My 521 gets between 21 to 24.5 MPG.  With a 10.8 gallon tank, I need gas about every 200 miles.

So then, in theory this guage here would work in the correct direction, just be off a little on the empty side? http://m.summitracing.com/parts/atm-5715

Says 73 ohms empty, and 10 ohms full. Would that be my best bet if I were to go with an auto meter guage?

I have one like this it works fine.  Not perfect but I have not ran out of gas with it ;)

I installed a Autometer fuel gauge and an Autometer universal sender in my stock goon tank.  The sender fit in the stock and I used the stock lock ring.  Ran one wire to the gauge and it works great.  Easy as can be.

Is the sender location in the side of the tank or on top? And do you have the part number for the sender that you used?