Lug nut engagement

mklotz70

Just found this piece of info in a Billet Specialties catalog. The question has come up before. Thought I'd post it so that it could get archived :)

Every stud must be long enought to thread a length at least equal to the stud diameter. Example: If using a 1/2" diameter stud, the lug must engage a min. of 1/2" of the stud length.

• Like 3
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every stud must be long enought to thread a length at least equal to the stud diameter. Example: If using a 1/2" diameter stud, the lug must engage a min. of 1/2" of the stud length.

Ahhhhh! The age old question of lenght vs. girth!

• 1 month later...

When I was a kid I was in a local garage where they had comic posters on the wall. One had a drawing of a large bolt (with obvious male characteristics) chasing a nut. (with obvious female characteristics) And the female nut is shouting over her shoulder: " Not without a washer you don't!!!"

• Like 4
When I was a kid I was in a local garage where they had comic posters on the wall. One had a drawing of a large bolt (with obvious male characteristics) chasing a nut. (with obvious female characteristics) And the female nut is shouting over her shoulder: " Not without a washer you don't!!!"

Mike,

I saw an actual figure like this.

Someone made a nice base, had the bolt with legs, and the nut with legs. Then below in like a plaque it said "Not without a washer!"

I saw that about 20 years ago (27 now) and didnt know what it meant until my teens. Hilarious!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Hmm... I thought I'd add this question here. I just pulled my wheels off for the first time and noticed that the lug nuts look kind of small!

photo-3.jpg

See the way the one on the bottom sits in? I thought it was a pretty universal size and I've changed plenty of other tires before but these seem to have very large holes and there are 6 lugs instead of 5. Autozone said there's only one size of nut, but it kinda makes me nervous to look at, since it's not really biting onto much metal. Any thoughts?

Ok so there are different styles! Guy at autozone didn't mention it. I wonder of they have them? The seat is tapered I think but it's a much larger diameter than the taper of the lug nut, so it only bites onto like 1/3 of the taper. I've been driving around like this and only noticed last night when I replaced my shocks. Previous owner has done soo much dumb stuff to this car :/

Touché Haha. I had to make a trip there last night after I installed one shock...I got to the second one and it decompressed MUCH faster....hmm...then I noticed it was a different box. I took it back and the guy told me that the company just changed their box design but it was the same product number. haha. I has to argue with him until a manager finally let me get the right one. I've been there a lot lately with similar stories. Autozone is fun! Lol

Touché Haha. I had to make a trip there last night after I installed one shock...I got to the second one and it decompressed MUCH faster....hmm...then I noticed it was a different box. I took it back and the guy told me that the company just changed their box design but it was the same product number. haha. I has to argue with him until a manager finally let me get the right one. I've been there a lot lately with similar stories. Autozone is fun! Lol

yaaaa :rolleyes: always double check your own stuff cuz 99.9% of the time the guy behind the counter is dumber than a box of rocks. every now and then you might get lucky and find someone that actually knows somthing about cars.

• 11 years later...

Ahhhhh yesssss, the counter guy.  I almost always have the PN when I go in because of them.

2 weekends ago, I was the parts runner for 2 guys working on my Suburban....

Napa....we don't stock an oil filter for that.  I can't/don't/won't believe it (I have over 5 in the shed, same #, for my Astro van).  5 million of these 2 vehicles on the road, and they don't have an oil filter.

Autozone, 11 filters, over 4 dif makes.....didn't know how to look up an air filter housing gasket.  A dif part....we have that at every other store in town....The Clifton store, which was on the way says we don't have it, but the North Ave store does....guess where I just came from.  OReilly had it.

• 1 year later...

In engineering, the standard for thread engagement is a minimum of 4.5 threads worth of engagement will allow the rated strength of the fastener.

This assumes both the make and female threads are of similar material.  If you have a hard steel bolt in an aluminum head, you will obviously need more, or in the context of the OP comment, using aluminum lug nuts would need more threads than steel.

• Like 1