new 510 project

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice color! What are your plans for this car?

im going to totally restore it and hop it up with zx 5 speed has dogleg right now with stock 20b going with z22 crank rods with 40 over flat top z20 pistons (hopfuly)

will have progress pics soon haven't desided color yet to soon

bondo all over it so far so good nothing major

Unless you just don't like the shift pattern, keep the dogleg. They're both 5 speeds, so you really aren't gaining anything with the Z tranny. The Z is also longer, so you'll need to pay to have the driveshaft shortened, and may have to replace some clutch components as well. Racers prefer the dogleg because second and third are straight up and down.

Links to Datsun tranny ratios:

http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/datsun_transmissions.htm

http://newprotest.org/projects/510/gearRatios.pl

I believe there are some with a taller 5th than the dogleg, but maybe at the price of a taller 1st, making it slower to get going from a standing start. If you drive in traffic much this may be an issue.

I don't recall if the rear end ratio in an automatic 510 is the same as manual tranny cars. Subaru diffs are interchangeable (with a bit of work) into 510s. Pull n Save is full of Subarus. I've given up trying to find a limited slip Subaru diff there, but if you don't need LSD there may be a standard diff with a higher ratio than stock 510.

Nice looking 510! And nice to know of another 510 in E WA. Saturday I was talking to 3 other guys who have 510s. I pointed out I'm the only one of the four of us with a running 510. Kind of ironic since I'm by far the oldest and laziest. :lol: Is your 510 currently running, or have you taken it apart to start doing your mods?

Len

Links to Datsun tranny ratios:

http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/datsun_transmissions.htm

http://newprotest.org/projects/510/gearRatios.pl

I believe there are some with a taller 5th than the dogleg, but maybe at the price of a taller 1st, making it slower to get going from a standing start. If you drive in traffic much this may be an issue.

I don't recall if the rear end ratio in an automatic 510 is the same as manual tranny cars. Subaru diffs are interchangeable (with a bit of work) into 510s. Pull n Save is full of Subarus. I've given up trying to find a limited slip Subaru diff there, but if you don't need LSD there may be a standard diff with a higher ratio than stock 510.

Nice looking 510! And nice to know of another 510 in E WA. Saturday I was talking to 3 other guys who have 510s. I pointed out I'm the only one of the four of us with a running 510. Kind of ironic since I'm by far the oldest and laziest. :lol: Is your 510 currently running, or have you taken it apart to start doing your mods?

Len

its my daily driver
  • 3 weeks later...

No i dont

should have just drove it as it was.

letting it go sanded down baremetal is worse.

sparaycan primer is not really good.

ya I know but there was about 40lbs of bondo on passenger side I hate the way they caved and paved back in the 70s and 80s not the right way to do bodywork and the was 25 lbs on the drivers side