shorted out z24 5 speed

So I accidently shorted something out on my truck as I got it going for the first time and was mucking around with the carby and I accidently hit the choke wire on the carby and it shorted out as it hit the carby.

So now I get no power from the battery to anything. I tapped one the relays in the engine bay and power work again, but as I turned the key I heard a click and lost all power again.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No power from battery??? Like no lights, horn, brake lights??? If so remove and clean the battery terminals and cables and clamp them on firmly.

If still nothing check the fusible links. They will be connected to the positive battery cable near the post. If one or another look burned or melted it will need replacing.

The choke heater relay will be fused so check the fuse in the fuse box. Check them all.

So I was testing the wires and the fuel pump randomly turned on again. So I tried turning the key and heard a click and it went back to having no horn or fuel pump. I can get dash lights only by manually clicking the relay in on the right under the dash. Will have another look tommorow quite puzzled at the moment as to what it is. I tried jump starting it and still zilch. Thanks Darcy

Just want to verify.

I have hazard lights, headlights, brake lights.

I have no power to dash lights, starter motor, horn, radio, wipers or indicators.

If it was the ignition switch would it do all this?

I'm thinking that it may be a relay closest to the battery. Or something to do with the white resistor thing or the ignition coil.

1988 Nissan navara z24

I suspected the relay switch because it gets quite hot when the key is turned on. I tested the plug and only getting power from 2 of the 3 wires

Had another look at it today. 
I thinking I may have found the culprit and may have to just follow it back. As I am no expert I try anything and everything. I have followed a fair few wires back only to continue scratching my head.
 I have posted a picture of the plug that plugs into my ignition barrel.  i think there is 6 wires going in. 5 of them have earth and the last one has no power at all going in. So im thinking maybe that this may be the culprit. If not im dumbfounded and have not a clue. 
Cheers.

ignition_plug.jpg

One of those wires should have 12 volts from the battery

White/Black stripe wire goes to a GREEN fusible link wire and from it to the positive battery post. This powers everything in the ignition switch.

The fusible link allows a major current load far above it's rating, overheats and then blows  Usually in 3-5 seconds. This allows for short term accidents like touching something to ground without having to replace it. A fuse on the other hand will blow almost instantly. If you run a fuse, don't go above the rated fusible link and carry spares.