cjzeppy's 521 ... a rust bucket in the rust belt.

cjzeppy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks good, I wish I had the property to put something like a shop up.

Looks like you can get at least two Datsuns in that shop. :lol:

Haha as long as there is enough room for my stuff, the truck, and my WRX I'll be content. This is at my family's house, but I'm already thinking about buying a piece of land and building my own house and garage/workshop.

Nice Im thinking how many Deer you can shoot in that back yard????????????????maybe even Hogs if you have them up there. Look at all that corn

Haha we have seen a few deer come into our backyard when the corn is cut, but hogs we are free from.

• Like 1

THE WAIT IS OVER! After 5 months of starring at my truck while building a garage I finally touched some tools. This past wednesday I removed the rear bumpers, tail lamps, exhaust, and gas tank. I also attempted to remove the bed bolts, but only getting to 7/10. The other three will need to be cut off with my newly purchased grinder. Hoping to have the bed off the truck this weekend.

• Like 1

THE WAIT IS OVER! After 5 months of starring at my truck while building a garage I finally touched some tools. This past wednesday I removed the rear bumpers, tail lamps, exhaust, and gas tank. I also attempted to remove the bed bolts, but only getting to 7/10. The other three will need to be cut off with my newly purchased grinder. Hoping to have the bed off the truck this weekend.

If you can, put a pair of vice grips on the top side, then tighten the bolts till they break, it's easier than one would think.

• Like 1

If you can, put a pair of vice grips on the top side, then tighten the bolts till they break, it's easier than one would think.

I tried that and a wrench but the bolt head was rusted into a circle. So next comes the saw and cut off wheel.

• Like 1

Yea, I understand, I generally just look at the bolt, if it's rusty looking, I tighten them till they break without ever trying to loosen them, if they look good, then I try to loosen them first.

I tried that and a wrench but the bolt head was rusted into a circle. So next comes the saw and cut off wheel.

Getting in there to cut them is a bitch, they were put in there in sort of holes, you can't get to the top or bottom, so you have to jack up the box a little, then cut between the box/frame mounts until it releases, be very careful, I don't want to read a thread about how cut your thumb/fingers off instead of the box.

• Like 1

That's pretty bad, road salt does that to metal, what about under the cab?

You can save just about anything if you throw enough time and money at it, but your location dictates doing just that, or scrapping it.

This past weekend I managed to pull the bed off my truck, exposing the rusted frame rails. I'll admit they are not as bad as I hoped, but to some it would turn them away from repairing this truck.

10429276_10152516562457476_5906495104905

10464253_10152516562537476_1091254332026

• Like 1

Wayno I have 5 years experience with rust repair and auto body both in college and out at my work. The rust on this truck is very minimal, but will be a challenge to make custom patches of the frame rails and floor pan. But i'm up for the task at hand!

• Like 1

I can send you sections if you need them, like 1 or 2 feet.

haha I wish I could find a way to ship parts over from the west coast that wasn't gong to cost an arm and a leg. But I can fix this with a little sheet metal.

This area is bad.

I have good sections of this area.

DSCN3707.JPG

What if I were to cut it on the black lines I made, and just send that part, it just an option.

DSCN3708.JPG

This past weekend I managed to pull the bed off my truck, exposing the rusted frame rails. I'll admit they are not as bad as I hoped, but to some it would turn them away from repairing this truck.

10429276_10152516562457476_5906495104905

I am with Wayno if you think thats not bad then I don't know. Not saying its not fixable but i can't weld so for me this is a throw away now if you can weld then go for it.

• Like 1

I only have the back half of two frames, one doesn't have the leaf mounts anymore, that is why I have them, I remove the leaf mounts, then I scrap them, that section that you could use doesn't interest me, it's scrap metal to me.

It's been back there for a while as you can see the surface rust it has on it, if you change your mind, it will likely be there for a while longer, all you have to do is pay for the shipping, I just cannot see it costing an arm and a leg to ship a 2 X 1.5 X 1 foot package, one could almost slap a label on the piece and ship it bare, but that might mess up the shipping machines.

I appreciate the offer Wayno if I was at least half the distance I am now I would def consider it.

• Like 1

I only have the back half of two frames, one doesn't have the leaf mounts anymore, that is why I have them, I remove the leaf mounts, then I scrap them, that section that you could use doesn't interest me, it's scrap metal to me.

It's been back there for a while as you can see the surface rust it has on it, if you change your mind, it will likely be there for a while longer, all you have to do is pay for the shipping, I just cannot see it costing an arm and a leg to ship a 2 X 1.5 X 1 foot package, one could almost slap a label on the piece and ship it bare, but that might mess up the shipping machines.

I apologize Wayno I was imagining you shipping me the entire frame section. haha Well in that case maybe that would be a better solution to fixing the worst part on the frame. I can send you pictures of where I need the cuts to be made, and then we can see how much it would cost shipping.

• Like 2