210 vs w58 peanut head on L16

troyw

I just removed the head on my L16 beacuse of a blown head gasket. I have a w58 peanut head and have read mixed statements. Some are saying it will raise compression slightly and some are saying it will lower slightly. I have also read that they dont flow well and are a bad choice for any kind of HP gains. I am just wondering if anyone has any input on this? Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The W58 peanut will lower the compression from 8.58 to 8.21 (no big deal) If it's not a peanut it will drop to 6.72. (a big deal)

The W58 had huge intake valves and ports more than offsetting the exhaust port liners.

The W58 also has round exhaust ports and while it will work on your square exhaust manifold it is not optimum.

My first question would be what makes you think it is a blown headgasket, is there water in the oil?

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but if you have oil getting into your water jacket/radiator, the head is no good anymore.

1. antifreeze leaking from edge of head 2. Burning oil (figured head gasket could have been one of the causes) 3. Lower compression on back to cylinders. I pulled the head and the gasket had blown between the last to cylinders and the fist cylinder ring on the gasket was busted as well 

The W58 peanut will lower the compression from 8.58 to 8.21 (no big deal) If it's not a peanut it will drop to 6.72. (a big deal)

The W58 had huge intake valves and ports more than offsetting the exhaust port liners.

The W58 also has round exhaust ports and while it will work on your square exhaust manifold it is not optimum.

Ok thanks for the info i think ill just put my 210 head back on 

I have a W58 peanut on mine,, we put the engine together in the middle to late 90s for a 521,, that is no more,  and i refreshed it and stuck it in my 510 a couple years ago,.  I personally think it is a great upgrade, and hell,  i use the single outlet exhaust,, because it was on it to be cheap.  I don't only putter around town we make quite a few tears a month,  down the freeway at 70-75 and it does it easily.

not tears as in secreting saline from eyes ,, tears as in hauling balls.