My first 521

Corona521

What he meant by the "grapevine" is that he drove over a mountain pass, and it is a long up hill grade on I5 just north of Los Angeles, if the vehicle being driven doesn't have lots of power, there is the possibility that one could be floored for half an hour straight, and I am not joking, literally floored for half an hour!

I took my 521 diesel up that pass a few years ago, it got real hot(water temp), now that I know about EGTs, I am amazed that I didn't smoke that diesel engine, the exhaust gas temperatures had to be over 1400 degrees for most that climb.

go back and time it.
adjust the idle speed and mixture.

I have had 4 webers and I just bolt them on and they work.

maybe the float is stuck and you just ran out of gas. Ck by cyleing the gas and see if it squirts in the main barrel.

Driving thru a Grapevine?

I assume the choke plate is open also when this happens as you have 12volts on the choke coil.
I seen it cut out up hill to another guy and I see the choke plate closed and say why is there no 12volts going to this? Doh!! I just loosen the 3 screws and turn the plate open all the time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried not to floor it, I was probably going 45 mph the whole way, that is until she gave out on me.

Wayno, I'm sure hoping it's not what you're saying it might be. Although from what others are saying it doesn't sound like I blew a cylinder.. I think I'm gonna start with adjusting the carb then maybe the timing

I tried not to floor it, I was probably going 45 mph the whole way, that is until she gave out on me.

Wayno, I'm sure hoping it's not what you're saying it might be. Although from what others are saying it doesn't sound like I blew a cylinder.. I think I'm gonna start with adjusting the carb then maybe the timing

45 shit you were flying upi the hill.

Maybe it just got to hot in the engine compartment and the fuel started to boil in the lines, that would certainly cause an issue, what makes me wonder is that after it cooled down, things did not go back to normal, you should not have had to put another carb on it.

Just rule all the easy stuff out first, timing, valve clearance, filters, ect; then if it is not getting better, a compression test.

The old carb had been running rich according to the previous owner, and it didn't have an air filter. I figured if just out in a new one and go from there.

Any good reads/threads on timing and valve clearance? I'm goin have to do my homework before I go messing with that stuff.

And I appreciate all the feedback I'm getting.

• 3 weeks later...