72 Datsun 521 Build Thread [Miata]

Elkie

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure this is going to be low enough, this type of mount cannot be used on a 521 because it's about 3/4 inches to high, and the transmission will hit on the tunnel, here is how low the 521 mount needs to be.

DSCN2228.JPG

My dad got the tranny mount fabbed up today while I was getting speakers installed in the 620.

100_0142_zpsedtjw8fu.jpg

• Like 2

I guess so, I sometimes forget about stuff when it gets a few months old, especially when other things get discussed, last thing I remembered was bumperettes being discussed.

But I went back and looked at the first page, and it seems you are right, the tunnel was cut, so i guess it doesn't matter how high the tranny mount is.

WTF

Did you miss the miata drivetrain part, or the part where the stock tunnel is cut out?

• Like 1

I guess so, I sometimes forget about stuff when it gets several months old, especially when other things get discussed, last thing I remembered was bumperettes being discussed.

But I went back and looked at the first page, and it seems you are right, the tunnel was cut, so i guess it doesn't matter how high the tranny mount is.

I edited my post since it was rude and disrespectful.  I had hoped you hadn't already read it.  I apologize.

• Like 2

I'll be doing a custom tunnel so that's not a huge issue. Reason its so high is because I wanted to move it back as far as possible. Also I'm using the 240sx tranny which is a tad narrower. Few pics for reference. You can also see the repair job on the tunnel a po did.

100_0143_zps8nvnxnzi.jpg

The black line is the highest I can bring the tunnel and retain the stock heater box.

100_0145_zps1dgzutqj.jpg

100_0146_zpsqtwqytgm.jpg

100_0147_zpsmzt2wky0.jpg

• Like 3

Wayno this prob wouldn't work if it was the stock tunnel. Yeah life got sidetracked a bit, priorities got changed, so the truck went on a backburner. Been really workin on it lately. Pic of my DD after accident. Had that car for 10 years.

100_0129_zpsvidze292.jpg

• Like 1

I see you are severely limited on room, if it could have even been a half inch farther forward you could have had the tail of the transmission much lower, but it looks really tight in the front, so you do what you have to do, and I understand that.

I don't know a lot about 620 clearances,  I just deal with the 521 mostly, there are or were a lot of 521s around here, so parts have not been an issue for me.

I just seen that mount and went into 521 mode, way to high for a 521. :lol:

• Like 1

I think the mount points are further back on the 240sx tranny which made it difficult. Using a pickup tranny prob would allow you to do a mount like yours. We actually had it mounted lower, but looking at it I was like I'd rather have an extra inch in front of the motor, and raise it all up a bit.

• Like 1

Too bad about the DD, but it looks like you used that drivetrain for the conversion, so it became a donor, I was thinking that it didn't look like a Miata engine with Nissan on the valve cover, but what do I know about modern cars, I will answer that question, virtually nothing. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess so, I sometimes forget about stuff when it gets a few months old, especially when other things get discussed, last thing I remembered was bumperettes being discussed.

The height of the rear of the transmission is important in the fact that you do not want to little or to much tilt on the engine.  The rule of thumb I go by on an engine swap is the intake manifold mounting surface for the carb or the TBI must be level.  This is more critical on carbs than the TBI but I treat both the same.  When I say level I mean front to back and side to side.  Just my 2 cents.  I have been doing engine trans swaps since the early seventies.

I'm leveling based on the oil pan for the ka, since the motor itself is intended to tilt. Pinion angle is being considered for any placement of the engine/transmission. I've been discussing with my father alternative mounts, with the length of the 240 tranny it may be easier to have a removable mount to aid in pulling the engine in the future. As you can see it extends quite far past the crossmember.

• Like 1

This weekends progress, got most of the firewall in for the driver's side.

100_0165_zpsobacjibk.jpg

100_0166_zpseyzh6jhw.jpg

Had to cut some of the engine bay out for room for the brake booster and clutch master.

100_0167_zpsauaqwuj6.jpg

Still plan on replacing the center piece for the heater box mount.

• Like 3

Working on the engine bay a bit. Extending the top hats so the shock will have more travel before bottoming out.

100_0169_zps4inpjwyw.jpg

Some rust repair from the battery tray, and access to the top hat  for shock dampening adjustment. Needs dressed up, but I think it looks good.

100_0171_zps1qvhyiv6.jpg

100_0172_zpsmhtpitzv.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah gotta thank my dad for his help, and him keeping me motivated. His metal fab is making this turn out way better then I coulda done on my own. I prob would have just drilled a hole for the top hats and called it good.

• Like 2