521 Motor Home back to Pickup ...

lacombe620

So at the same place i got my 66 520, I got this lil gem.  Less than a 100k on the odometer, but the camper part was toast.

003.jpg

001.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

My brother and nephew  had already began to scrap it for the metal when I got.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking that the aftermarket rv guys modified the frame, but a closer look shows that they bolted the floor to the frame leaving the frame intact.  I need a bed and a back window, this came from the original owner of the 66 and is said to run as well, Next weekend I will get it home and spin it over. 

But it has been lengthened, normally it's about 3 feet from the back of the cab to the center of the back wheel, the same as the 1966 520, yours is likely closer to 5 feet.

I suppose that there is the possibility that they imported long frame cab/chassis for the motorhome manufacturers to build the motorhomes, but I seriously doubt it, as every  Datsun motorhome frame I have seen has been lengthened.

You will not be able to find a stock box for that truck that will fit in this country(the USA), as I have never seen a longbed 521 box in the US.

Here is a stock longbed 521 frame.

2pp0zma.jpg

Here it is with the box.

DSCN0064.jpg

Here is one with a lengthened frame, I believe this one is a 69.

00P0P_fB8U8lRdHpc_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

The rear leafs are likely not stock, and the motorhome rearend is supposed to be different, better bearings or something, the race guys back in the day wanted the motorhome rearends I was told.

My friend made a flatbed out of a 1970 Datsun motorhome, he also converted to a diesel engine, his was a dually motorhome.

Laurence%2527s%2520521.JPG

• Like 2

The rear leafs are likely not stock, and the motorhome rearend is supposed to be different, better bearings or something, the race guys back in the day wanted the motorhome rearends I was told.

My friend made a flatbed out of a 1970 Datsun motorhome, he also converted to a diesel engine, his was a dually motorhome.

Laurence%27s%20521.JPG

This truck is the truck that inspired me to dothe diesel conversion on my 520:-)

This truck is the truck that inspired me to dothe diesel conversion on my 520:-)

That kid is why I have diesels in the first place, he used to live 5 blocks away from me, but now he has his own house and a wife now, I still go and visit his parents though, they are actually my age, but they own no Datsuns. :(

He stopped buy my house yesterday, he seen a 521 in front of my house and thought I had bought another one, but someone came over to buy a part from me. :lol:

I met him when he had a 1966 Datsun roadster, but he never actually got that one on the road, he sold it to fund the diesel 521 project.

That diesel 521 of his has inspired a lot of folks back then, but now he doesn't drive it anymore, he likes his Harley Davidson better ATM.

This project is going to be put on the back burner, needed to get the camper off and it to my house, before it got totally scrapped.  My 520 is the number one job to get done.  Its up on blocks and getting tore down at the moment (very slowly).

I would flatbed it myself, I find so many uses for my flatbed, but I do a lot of physical work, and a lot of wrenching, I also burn wood for heat during the winter.

DSCN0393.JPG

This frame has been extended 24 inches, along with so many modifications, that I have lost count, it would not surprise me if there were not 20 different datsuns/Nissans making up the truck above, I published a list of what was in this once, it was a long list.

The other avenue you could take is to get 2 521 boxes, and make one long box out of the two, it's quite a bit of work, but worth it if you do it yourself, as when your done you can say I did that.

• Like 1

That looks like the wheel on my 86 720.  I would go back to a motorhome box.

First look at this thread and that's what I thought too. Looks like a 620 disc brake rim.

Any thoughts to a king cab short box .

The KC and the reg cab short wheelbase are the same dimensions.