Please help ID this tranny!!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front switch is reverse lamps. The one on the tail is the neutral switch used for emissions purposes.

I agree the '79-'83 280zx usually have only a reverse lamp switch even the California cars. From '80 on there were only three vehicles with a possible L series 5 speed in them. The '80-'83 non turbo 280zx, the '80-'84 810 / Maxima and the '80 720 truck. 

The 720 is covered with switches. The Maxima has only the reverse lamp like the zx. However the '80 810 has reverse and a neutral switch, so I'm suspecting this is what you have.

There is one way to positively tell what you have. The 810 should have a 3.321 ratio first gear. (or 3.321 input turns for one output) The 280zx non turbo should be 3.062 (or 3.062 input for every output turn)

Softly clip a pair of vice-grips to the input shaft. Mark the spline on the output shaft in the tail. Place in first gear. Have someone use the vice-grips to turn the input 20 times exactly while you count the output turns.

If you count...

5.5 turns you have a 2wd 720 truck transmission with a low 3.594 first gear. (unlikely the switches are wrong)

6.0 turns you have an '80 810* or '81-'84 Maxima. (* probably this)

6.5 turns you have a genuine '80-'83 non turbo 280zx 5 speed.  Maybe an extra switch was added.

Either would work just fine in the goon. I would prefer the 3.321 first gear 5 speed. I have this in my 710 goon and like the spread of gears and the L20B even pulls well in 5th. (13.6%)

I have a zx 5 spd. with the 3.062 first and monster 0.745 overdrive (25.5%) that I would like to put in and try. As you can see the overdrive is about double which will probably limit it to highway use.

So in order to install this in the goon, i need the sleeve and the fork from this tranny (81' Maxima 810) and the TO bearing from whichever clutch kit it comes with? Do i have to switch out the 810 speedo cog to get accurate speed reading? If i do, which one would it be? The stock auto or any stock 4sp?

Keep your release bearing sleeve!!! it and the clutch are a matched set that has to stay together. If you don't have the zx slave on that 5 speed just use your 510 clutch arm with the adjustable pushrod.

We still don't know for sure what transmission you have. Easy enough to turn it 20 times in first and count the output turns.

The stock 510 cog for the 4 speed is a Black plastic 17 tooth I believe. So you will need a 17 tooth pinion for your 5 speed. Pull the one in it out. If it's Black you're good to go. If not the later Maxima uses a 17 tooth Black. Nissan part 32703-78102 about < $20. This is just the plastic gear so pop the roll pin out of the sleeve and remove the Red or Blue or w/e gear and slip this one in

Thanks guys for all the help...will try to turn the input shaft to see what i got...

Btw, just took another look at the tranny but didnt see no 71B casting except for a "#4" on the tail housing. I thought all zx tranny supposed to have a raised 71B casting on the bell housing, i might be wrong...perhaps this is not a 71B?