Blinker arm for 1986

Justin Berni

So I broke the blinker arm off in my truck when I jumped in the window Dukes of Hazzard style, I know, stupid Idea. Anyways when I went to every pick n pull within 20 miles I learned that certain trucks have a different set up. I was trying to get that whole plastic assembly, with both the blinker and wiper arm. Some of them were meant for a thicker steering column, I'm assuming those were from the 4x4s, correct me if I'm wrong. And some has slightly different wiring on the back, I believe the ones with different wiring were earlier years. So can anyone tell me for sure which years will work on my 86, and if anyone has one laying around let me know, I'll buy it if the price is fair. Right now I'm rocking one from an 83 I believe, with different wires, only reason I bought that one is because although the wires are different I can still control my headlights with it, unlike before. Only problem with this one is that my turn signals don't work with it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few differences.. Two different sizes of steering columns and some have intermittent wipers which means they have a different wiper switch.

What do you have now? My guess is you need a manual wiper switch for a non-4x4 or tilt column (small version).

You can make the turn signals work. Just wire it up correctly.

There was a wiper function called MIST which was a pulse delay wiper. The delay was built in and non adjustable. There was a second option with a twist knob on the end of the wiper stalk that varied the delay. You need a different wiper amplifier to use this but they should work, just not be adjustable.

I don't believe the 4x4s had this adjustable delay available but the 2wd ST probably did. I had a pulse delay 4x4 harness and put the variable delay wiper arm and headlamp switch on my truck. All I did was swap the variable amplifier in and run two wires from the variable switch to the amp and it worked.

By part number the '85 and on were closest. There were no tilt steering after '84 I believe.

1986. Single cab. 2wd. Base model, no tilt wheel. I've seen two different sizes of this part, one was meant for a thicker steering column and was too big for mine. And my original one had one little set of wires with a connector on the end to plug into one of the connectors from the wiring harness, but the one I have on, the wrong one, doesn't have any wires comin off it, they are just plug into that. The one I need has two different plug ins plus the one wiring coming off that plugs into a connector.