Timing help

Briansdime

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the matchbox on just to see if it worked after I took the front cover off and readjusted the timing no spark. Same with the points dizzy have spark at the points just non at the plug. Also I do have spark at the coil. As for the gear that the dizzy runs off the crank I checked that and all looks good. I know I'm missing something. The points dizzy is off a 74+ 620, the guy that had it before me said it ran but a year ago so I don't know why after new plugs cap rotor it's not getting spark to the plugs. I've checked on both dizzy the gap and alignment to witch the spark is hit the cylinder and that's when I found that the timing was off a tooth judging by the slack in the chain.

So you have spark at end of coil wire ,, but if you plug it into cap ( like normal) ,, no spark at the plugs??

Have you checked that little button on the inside of the cap,  in the center.   To make sure it is contacting the rotor ?  I have seen those break off or fall out quite often.

If you have a few bucks there's a guy in Puyallup that can probably get you back on the road fast ,, but he charges a bit. Certainly nowhere near a real shop but charges none the less.

He is pumpkn210 on here

http://community.ratsun.net/user/164-pumpkn210/

Slick Mcfavorate on Facebook Ratsun.net ,,

For a few bucks he will come to you, give him a buzz  he will set you right lickity split.

• Like 1

So I figured out why I was not getting spark now I found a new prob. My rotor is jumping time found out my oil pump gear (shaft) is to small and not setting in the groove on the worm gear on the crank. Is there a different shaft the has a bigger gear?

Well I don't know what was in there but I found another gear and it had a larger gear than the one in the motor when I got it. Swapped it out and she fired right up, now I have the one more question the block is a l16 the head is a A87 peanut head I think that's what it's called, and I have the cam gear set on 1. My question, is there a recommendation on where to set the timing or is factory good enough.

Cam and ignition timing are not related. Adjusting the cam timing in no way alters the ignition timing. That said the ignition timing for the L16 is 12 degrees before TDC.

If you have high compression less timing is needed.

... now I have the one more question the block is a l16 the head is a A87 peanut head I think that's what it's called, and I have the cam gear set on 1. My question, is there a recommendation on where to set the timing or is factory good enough.

The stock 210 head has a compression of 8.58. All other heads have a larger combustiion chamber which will drop the compression somewhat.

Closed (peanut) chamber head would give 8.21

Open chamber head would give 6.72

Very generally, a lower compression takes longer to burn so you start the burn sooner by advancing the timing. Twelve degrees is going to work fine.