Timing help

Briansdime

So I have a l16 with a dizzy off a l20b. Set everything to tech and have power everywhere but the plugs, turn it over and then found tdc again and the rotor is in a diffrent spot. Instead of #1 it will be on 3 or in between 1 & 3. The cam and pulley is on tdc but it seems like the rotor is jumping time. How do I fix this?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you time to TDC crank at zero and your dizzy is close to zero on timming plate and its inbetween 1 & 3 then mount you have maybe wrong. Did the dizzy come with the pedastal(mount)? the Matchbox had 2 types. One will fit the L20b point pedastal but the other will but it off between 1 & 3 thus you need to drop the oil pump and move the dist shaft.

otherside of the dizzy is a 8mm bolt one can adjust the timming plate its enough to run but wont get top end power as youll cut out.

also counter clock wise fire order

Agreed with hainz. Probably the wrong pedestal. If at tdc the rotor point to the number 3 plug wire, then switch it so its now number 1. Then 342 in a counter clockwose direction. If it is half way between plug wires and you cannot rotate the dizzy enough to work you will have to pull the oil pump and rotate the drive spindle.

I have a matchbox but it dose not create spark have power to it and timed right just no spark. Oh and I took the valve cover off and rotated to line up tdc. I know there are different ways of setting it and from what I've seen it's at 1 and the mark is to the left of the v grove. Also I rotated it to the right and the Chain then had slack, is this common? If your looking at the front of the motor the right side of the cam gear is loose or what I have seen it's the straight part.

TDC is off the crank. thats what your oil pump/ dist is based off of.

What your doing is cam timming with the valve cover off. not related unless you took this aprt also earlier.

Pu the point dizzy in and at 1128 spindal set the rotor should lock down. now where it points youll make that #1 pkug wire and go counter clock wise 1 3 4 2 fire order.

the , I tried 2 coil is bad info. Hopefully its the stock point coil and still using the ballast resisitor and its wired right.

olddatsuns.com tech section

my vid part 6 should be on youtube

So I have a l16 with a dizzy off a l20b. Set everything to tech and have power everywhere but the plugs, turn it over and then found tdc again and the rotor is in a diffrent spot. Instead of #1 it will be on 3 or in between 1 & 3. The cam and pulley is on tdc but it seems like the rotor is jumping time. How do I fix this?

If jumping around maybe the set screw that locks the timing plate is loose? Grab the dizzy and gently try to twist it. If it turns then it's loose.

Sorry it's a points dizzy, I have tried two coils the spindle is at 11:28 the first time I did the tdc. I get spark at the points but nothing out the plugs. When I get the points to open the rotor is in the middle of the pugs.

Same as above.

Now put the EI dizzy and EI coil back on, it's way better than the points one.

I see that you ion fact have an EI dizzy . You won't have spark at the plugs if the rotor is not lining up with the cap terminals. . Check for spark on the coil wire.... bet it there.

Try turning the rotor by hand. I suspect the spindle drive gear on the crank is either missing it's woodruff key or it has sheared off. Has the front end timing gear been apart recently?

I had the matchbox on just to see if it worked after I took the front cover off and readjusted the timing no spark. Same with the points dizzy have spark at the points just non at the plug. Also I do have spark at the coil. As for the gear that the dizzy runs off the crank I checked that and all looks good. I know I'm missing something. The points dizzy is off a 74+ 620, the guy that had it before me said it ran but a year ago so I don't know why after new plugs cap rotor it's not getting spark to the plugs. I've checked on both dizzy the gap and alignment to witch the spark is hit the cylinder and that's when I found that the timing was off a tooth judging by the slack in the chain.

At any time was the lower crank sprocket off?

Maybe the crank pulley is slipping on the crank then. It was off and maybe the keys fell out installing it. Turning the pulley by hand moves it and the timing mark out of position.

Lock the cam sprocket with something so it can't turn. Try rotating the front pulley by hand again.