Sticky throttle cable: what lube to use?

720inOlyWa

I rebuilt my 85 720 Nissan and it wants to run great. Problem is, the throttle cable is just a little bit sticky. As you can imagine, this makes sifting and starting from a dead stop clumsy.  

I hesitate to just unhook the end of the cable and drip 3 in 1 oil down it because maybe there is an actual cable lube technique out there that I don’t know about. So how do you lube your throttle cables?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, z-train. I douched the entire unit with lithium grease spray per this thread and it works great now. But I take the initial symptoms as a sign and since I have so little dough into it so far, I tend to get new parts for her when it looks like she needs one. When I replace the cable, I will probably switch to a dry graphite lube as that has been good to me in the past. Once you shoot white lithium grease spray down cable a few times, the dry graphite is not an option.

Epilogue: For those who just want to cut to the chase.

Whenever you experience a sticky feeling under your accelerator foot, just go to your parts emporium of choice and order a new throttle cable. If the old one had a hitch in its giddyup, lube is not a long term answer. I finally pulled my cable out of the truck and gave it a very close inspection. The worn flat spot in the cable would have never been visible while servicing the part installed. In fact, when I unhooked it before and moved it with the pedal only, I didn’t feel any sticking at all.  Well, outside the vehicle, it is easy as pie to feel tat sticky spot- right there where idle changes to acceleration. I suppose I could have messed with it for a long time without really seeing the problem. Far better to install a new one- $16.00 from RockAuto. I feel sheepish.

• 2 years later...

Oh yeah- that white lithium grease really did the trick! Holy cow!  I went after all of my cables with it and hit the tailgate mechanism too.

Thanks, metalmonkey!

Have you had any throttle sticking issues since applying the lithium grease?

I have a 1983 Nissan 720 2.4 Deluxe with 157K miles.  Just successfully replaced the clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder clutch, flywheel, bearings etc. Working great, no leaks!

The persistent issue I am having trouble with is the throttle cable. When applying the gas pedal, the ball on the throttle cable at the top of the gas pedal will continue sticking out about 2 inches for 5 seconds, the engine will race up to 4000 rpm's then back to 1000 rpm's.  So using deductive reasoning, I replaced the throttle cable with a brand new one to fix the problem.  The gremlin is still there, I am still having the exact same issue with the throttle sticking.  I thought about using lithium grease or graphite but why should I on a new cable?  There are no tight bends in the cable just a slight horseshoe bend back to the cable assembly on the carburetor.  The carburetor throttle seems to be working fine also. What is the deal?  Any suggestions? Thx

• 3 weeks later...

If you replaced the cable.... it ain't the cable.

Carb is hanging up.

Throttle shaft may be worn.

Return spring at wrong angle or home made

Carb linkages sticking

Accelerator pump sticking.

Use carb cleaner all over the linkages.

Disconnect the throttle cable from the carb and work the throttle looking for the tight spot.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...