The Redskunk '73 620

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome job on the wiring, RedSkunk!  I have been guilty of the hack and tape approach to wiring so I'll just have to drive my truck till it drops to save some poor soul the hassle you had to go through.   I also like all the Datsun/Ratsun stickers you have.  Nice touch.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Its been awhile since I updated this thread. But below are some pictures of what I've been messing around with and stuff I wanted to share. Christmas came kinda early today as well. Front signal lights arrived from Thailand, and new headlight connectors came in too.

20141011_195027_zpsmwgmgn13.jpg

20141011_195108_zpsex521ick.jpg

dd2f11f2-872f-45eb-8c51-137cdc1cdc0e_zps

20141017_212859_zps9rmpd4pp.jpg

20141017_212914_zpsupmznnza.jpg

20141117_144827_zpsjrmnblis.jpg

20141117_144651_zpswqs8y3rk.jpg

20141117_144647_zps0eij6nbp.jpg

20141117_144658_zpskrhfv1bx.jpg

Drum Roll

20141117_144714_zpsksjx01mk.jpg

20141117_144723_zpsrts4fg9s.jpg

IMG_20141106_220535_zps1wx8pcje.jpg

20141117_144806_zpsthayehty.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Haha, I put that Bee and Ratsun sticker on that glass :P

Was really sad to see the truck get totaled, I miss it a lot, but very glad that it is being used to keep other trucks on the road.

So I have a question about wiring. My B210 has been a rats nest for at least 7 years now and the red truck had some wiring issues, so to make it all easier I want to rewire it. Would it be better to get something like an EZWire kit or just get new wire and replace them all one circuit at a time? I'm pretty intimidated by wiring normally, but after seeing the chewed wires in the engine bay I'm sure the wires behind the dash are toast.

• Like 1

Haha, I put that Bee and Ratsun sticker on that glass :P

Was really sad to see the truck get totaled, I miss it a lot, but very glad that it is being used to keep other trucks on the road.

So I have a question about wiring. My B210 has been a rats nest for at least 7 years now and the red truck had some wiring issues, so to make it all easier I want to rewire it. Would it be better to get something like an EZWire kit or just get new wire and replace them all one circuit at a time? I'm pretty intimidated by wiring normally, but after seeing the chewed wires in the engine bay I'm sure the wires behind the dash are toast.

Cool. I cant wait to put the rear single glass windshield on. Are you talking about the EZ wire kits from SummitRacing? I think it's cheaper and better to just buy a spool of various wires sizes (14 awg, 16 awg and 18 awg) and replace them all accordingly. With limited time and patience, I couldn't find new wires with the same color scheme. I ended up going with red wire for power and black wire for ground, and i salvaged some of the old harness wires that was still usable. I advise to reference to a schematic and label the wires as well. To label, use clear heat shrink and print out your own labels using the chart feature in microsoft word like I did. It can be a pain in the ass looking at so many wires and forgetting which wire is which. As for the crimp connectors, you can try to source some new ones or use your old ones by soldering them onto the new wires. Try to replace them if you can, because i notice alot of the crimped connectors on this truck were corroded and dirty. If there's a Fry's Electronic or Ace hardware store near you, they should carry new crimp connectors or you can find some cheap on ebay or other sites. Most of the electrical supplies I got were from Frys Electronics.

20141130_191706_zpsh3ay8rbx.jpg

20141130_191715_zpsl7eaxqft.jpg

20141130_191732_zpsafks2e5q.jpg

20141130_191746_zpsyt5vawq0.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw this truck posted for sale on CL. It's a shame man, you did so much work.

Lol, i had some BS offers. I couldn't leave the Ratsun club early yet, i had a guilty feeling...I turned them down and decided to keep the truck! And i finally got the truck started.

Where did you get the bullet shell door locks?

You can just make them. Its easy. Use your existing plastic locks and cut the top with a dremel. And cap it off with a empty 9mm shell. Or you can just fill them up with epoxy, and drill in through the expoxy once dried, and screw them on the door lock rod. I went to the gun range a while back and saved a bunch of empty 9mm shells off the floor.

• Like 1

You are doing a great job and by you taking the time to video your mistake and explaining it you will save others (hopefully) the frustration of going through the same problem.  I have a buddy that is an electrical engineer and designs and builds hi-tech medical equipment and his 510 is put together with wire nuts.  He told me they were only temporary over 6 years ago.  I guess his definition of temporary is different than mine!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...