92 Toyota 4runner EFI to carb fuel pump question.

So was EFI but motor died an had a extra 22r motor carbureted around so put that in. Everything seems all good but there is the old electronic fuel pump an the (new) carbureted motor has the mechanical fuel pump on it. Do I block off the mechanical one an go electronic? Or vise versa? I just never mess with electronic fuel pumps so don't know if there alright for carb? and carb is just regular weber carb.

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See if you can use a regulator on the electric, now just keep in mind efi can be as much as 60 psi, where carb is like 15, so you might not be able to throttle it down that much plus it might have a return line. If you choose to go mechanic le or in line carb elect disconnect the power to the factory pump.

I did a similar swap, LC Engineering clone carbed 22R into a former 22RTE injected truck.  The OE intank injection pump is WAY too strong.  I even spent real money on a high end regulator to try and bring it down to the recommended 7 psi for a carb with no luck.  It overwhelmed the regulator easily.

I ended up putting a 7 psi elec pump outside the tank on the framerail, even let it just draw through the existing in tank pump, with no issues.  Truck ran great with the added benefit that as a 4x4 there was no carb starvation issues on off angle and low RPM wheeling due to the constant supply of fuel.

OK awesome thank you guys for the info. Sounds like you were the right guy to see this post Rjawm. I think I'll just unplug the electric an try an get the mechanical one to work.

And the carbed 22r is an older one not sure exactly but there both 22r's. Is there a diff with efi an carbed motors? And It was just easier to swap the motor with the carb on it then to deal with the efi. Plus I don't know anything bout efi imma datsun guy lol.

OK awesome thank you guys for the info. Sounds like you were the right guy to see this post Rjawm. I think I'll just unplug the electric an try an get the mechanical one to work.

And the carbed 22r is an older one not sure exactly but there both 22r's. Is there a diff with efi an carbed motors? And It was just easier to swap the motor with the carb on it then to deal with the efi. Plus I don't know anything bout efi imma datsun guy lol.

The OE mechanical may not have enough suction to pull through the pump.  Just a guess though, not from experience.  I skipped it and went straight to an electric pump.

75 - 84 22R has a taller head than the 85 - 95 version.  More EFI manufactured after the change than before, in the truck applications at least.  More info here: http://www.lcengineering.com/LCTechPages/techpages/TechNote48.htm