Chevy 350/T5 in a 510 | For those who have done it

jacob80

Hello!

I just picked up a 510 with a Chevy 350. Previously, someone had adapted a Datsun 5 speed to the 350 via an adapter plate, but the plate has since been damaged and now I'd like to put a T5 in the car.

I know the T5 will bolt straight to the 350, but will a T5 transmission with the 350 bellhousing fit in the 510's transmission tunnel?

If it fits, I'll just need to have someone make me a driveshaft and fab a transmission mount.

Thanks!

MTOlCZG.jpg

9zBkFf7.jpg

hwRZQ5a.jpg

jkWdzMJ.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a really smart move saying that someone else put the SB Chevy in it because if you admitted that you really did the swap you would be flamed here.

Note to self: If I do something really stupid to a car blame it on some on else.

Welcome and best of luck with the trans swap too

About your original question, i don't know. but if with  adapter wouldn't the flywheel be spacered out? I would imagine just getting rid of that would be better just for the life of crank bearings.

Do you still have adapter ?? Could you post pictures of it?

That was a really smart move saying that someone else put the SB Chevy in it because if you admitted that you really did the swap you would be flamed here.

Note to self: If I do something really stupid to a car blame it on some on else.

Welcome and best of luck with the trans swap too

It's the only unfortunate thing about this car. However, for the time being, it'll do the job until I get my KA24DET swap together  B)

The adapter plate was sandwiched between the bell housing and the 280Z 5 speed, I believe. I am told that a bearing inside the transmission (counter shaft bearing?) "exploded" and/or seized and chewed up the adapter plate rendering it useless. I have yet to really look at what happened.

Could it just be that the bearing in the transmission has gone bad and simply needs replaced? I'm afraid the transmission may be trashed.  :confused:

I have posted the images above in my first post!

So the red thing is the adapter plate?? That is pretty ingenious ..i like that idea alot.

The front bearings in those trannys do go out ,, i just switched one outta my car for that exact reason.  I'm not a tranny guy by any stretch,, but it does look like something was grinding on the lower bearing holder / place.

So the red thing is the adapter plate?? That is pretty ingenious ..i like that idea alot.

The front bearings in those trannys do go out ,, i just switched one outta my car for that exact reason.

It looks like a well-made piece. It looks like the bearing siezed and just spun around in there and chewed up the metal. To me, it looks like the hollowed-out section where the bearing sits in may provide some kind of support, and now that it's been reamed out, that support may not be there. I see there is a similar area made on the stock Datsun 5 speed bellhousing for this bearing, as well.

I guess I'm just trying to see if this is a matter of popping in a new bearing or if the plate is ruined?

I used to have a V8 in a 510 with a T5 trans.

Mine was the Buick/Olds 215 CI all aluminum V8. When I got the car, the previous owner had installed a Super T10 4 speed. I pulled the entire drivetrain and swapped it into a more solid 510 and swapped the trans for a world class T5. The Olds Bellhousing was probably as large as the 350 bell housing so I would think with minor mods, it would fit. I guess it depends on how far back the engine is set in to the firewall.

The T5 trans I used came from an 80's Trans-Am. The bottom mount was at an angle when installed (not at the bottom) because in the Trans-Am the engine was set in at an angle. We made a custom trans crossmember for it. I still have that crossmember. I would sell it if you think it could work for you.

The front case on the zx transmission supports the counter bearing. (and the front main shaft bearing above it) The part in your picture is called the cover plate and that's about what it does. If that's a hole just weld it up.

The counter bearing looks like the 56mm one, common on the zx 5 speeds. It's very easy to get at and change with a normal gear puller.

The FS5W71B 5 speeds are strong enough for a NA 280zx. Around 180 hp? -ISH??? If wanting to stay with the Nissan 5 speed get a later FS5W71C which is about twice as strong. One of the improvements is a larger 62mm counter bearing, better synchros and wider stronger gears. You could have a machine shop trim that adapter out to 62mm. The 71C easily handles the 300zx non turbo. 300zx turbo owners who have blown up their T5s have slipped the 71C in with very good results. '86-'89 300zx made about 200 hp the 300zx turbo about 230 -ISH hp. 240sx cars with SR20DET swaps and 400 hp have been run through them.

The front case on the zx transmission supports the counter bearing. (and the front main shaft bearing above it) The part in your picture is called the cover plate and that's about what it does. If that's a hole just weld it up.

The counter bearing looks like the 56mm one, common on the zx 5 speeds. It's very easy to get at and change with a normal gear puller.

The FS5W71B 5 speeds are strong enough for a NA 280zx. Around 180 hp? -ISH??? If wanting to stay with the Nissan 5 speed get a later FS5W71C which is about twice as strong. One of the improvements is a larger 62mm counter bearing, better synchros and wider stronger gears. You could have a machine shop trim that adapter out to 62mm. The 71C easily handles the 300zx non turbo. 300zx turbo owners who have blown up their T5s have slipped the 71C in with very good results. '86-'89 300zx made about 200 hp the 300zx turbo about 230 -ISH hp. 240sx cars with SR20DET swaps and 400 hp have been run through them.

Very helpful information, sir!

I do have an extra Datsun 5 speed laying around, but with bad gears. I am certain the bearings in that unit are good - someone just beat the shit out of the car or too much power was applied to the transmission. Here are a couple photos of that unit. I'm looking at it and trying to figure out is I'm missing the counter bearing on this unit too? Because according to my red adapter plate, something was touching it and rubbing on it where the anodizing has gone missing. I also snapped a photo of the back side of the cover plate on my spare transmission and the wear on it looks similar to that of my adapter plate - so perhaps my adapter plate isn't damaged, but rather just normal wear and tear?

Do I have the bearing I need to get this thing back on the road? If I just swapped in a new counter shaft bearing, could this potentially fix all my problems? What causes this bearing to fail? And when it does fail, could there be other repercussions inside the transmission that follow?

And one more thing - I'm not sure if it was in gear or not, but when I turn the main shaft of the transmission that is supposedly good, it gets stopped by something and cannot turn any further at a certain point. I'm able to twist it back, so it's not getting stuck. Is this normal behavior?

Thanks!

cKPac7I.jpg

vD9lsqH.jpg

This case is totaled...

cKPac7I.jpg

If the transmission turns and locks, I've seen this before. Likely some bearing damage in there possibly a cage coming apart and in effect acting like a sprag clutch. Reversing direction frees it.

Maybe cut to the chase.... a Camaro T5.

Seems to be the direction I'm heading at this point. Looks like I'll need to start looking at making a driveshaft, transmission mount, and potentially cutting a holy for the shifter.

These Datsun 5 speeds are hard to come by, at least here in Nebraska they are.

The whole setup will be dumped in place for a KA24DET setup soon enough. I just want to enjoy the thing until that time comes with the 350 in it.

A spun bearing is a good reason to use TRW [automotive] "Bearing Set" [or maybe it's Bearing Seal, it has been a long time] on a replacement.  It saved a rear axle on my old 1970 Buick Electra when the axle seal started leaking and the original selective fit one was already at maximum diameter.