1972 Datsun 510 Wagon - What is it worth?

I just saved a 72 510 Wagon on the way to the scrapyard. Its probably a 4 or 5 out of 10 for condition. It is a totally original and unrestored car. 4 speed manual with 1.6l engine. Showing 50k miles but probably 150k. Rust in the usual places for a Southeastern Car (Its been in Asheville, NC its whole life and was not driven in winter weather). Only damage to the car is the front driver's side fender that had been hit in a parking lot. So that fender is shot, but the frame looks good and the rust on the rest of the car is minimal. Interior is decent with the only real wear on the driver's seat and carpet. Original wheels and hubcaps are there as are pretty much all the bits and pieces.

I don't have pics, but I will get some soon. It has a NC title and original keys. It has been parked for 6 years since the old lady that drove it passed away. Anyway, I am just trying to get an idea of a ballpark price on the east coast for this car.

Also, if anyone has a driver's side front fender at a reasonable price, please let me know.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From your description it sounds like a 2.5-3.5k car for the East Coast. Probably need more info on the rust and weather the drivetrain is salvageable (I get the feeling the fluids weren't bled from the engine). Miles are pretty irrelevant if it's got rust and body damage, the L16s will run for a long long time if they're taken care of. 

My plans for it are to get it running again, replace the fender, patch up the rust with real metal, and paint her back the original white. The black interior could use some gorilla tape here and there, but otherwise should be fine as-is. I have a ton of parts left from my 810 wagon that I don't have to buy again and I am working with a car painter to learn how to paint myself so it should be mostly labor and little in the way of out of pocket expenses that I have to add to it. I think it would be a nice replacement for the boring 89 Accord 4 door that is my current daily driver.

Worth? What you paid for it. If selling it you might find someone that thinks it's worth more, most would say less because they don't want it. It would be worth more if it's condition were improved and up graded but mostly it would be worth most to you. Fix it up and enjoying increasing it's worth to you. Placing a dollar value on it cheapens the experience I think, unless you are selling for mere profit. Driving an old classic Jap Tin car that you built is worth much more.

I didn't really want to get into the philosophy of worth, but OK. I have owned a lot of cars, something like 60 or so and I;m only 36. Thats three a year for 20 years. I don't keep stuff too long and I do't get attached to cars. Like I tell all my friends, everything I have is always for sale... IF the price is right. I am just trying to get an idea of whether THIS one would be an investment or a loss. I am going to fix it up and drive it anyway, just trying to justify it to myself. By the way, I did get some pics, but they are low res. I'll try tog et some better ones soon. Better than nothing I guess!

photo3_zps14f24989.jpg

photo2_zps2b4bcdac.jpg

photo1_zps5b6af130.jpg

Judging by the amount of body damage that is hanging on that car (just dents, not even counting rust because I can't tell what's surface and what's not) it's going to be a loss. 

But, most Datsuns are, unless you snag them dirt cheap and straight. Many of us have spent more money than we'd like to think about on our Datsuns and there's no way we're going to get the investment back 100%, nevermind the man hours we spend on them. 

• Like 2

Good thing I got it for $250 (yes $250) and I am working with a body guy that is showing me the ropes so I can do my own work. It has very litte rust where it counts and no rot. I think I found a fender cheap (its not perfect either, but WAYYY better than what I've got) and am going to delete the front bumper anyway. SOOO, I think I'll do alright once I get tired of it.

The a fella who knew I was into old Datsuns sold me the red goon in the back for $100. I really did not need it but I figured what the hell. It has some rust in some structural places so I figure I would just strip it some day and send what is not worth keeping to the junk yard. For now it will just sit. There was a pic I have to find that was in the car of it with some homemade setup where they had put duel wheels on the rear. If I can find it I will post it up. I miss my green goon in the foreground. I plan to get it back up and going later this year.

IMG_20130324_120956.jpg