71 521 something

earlyvws

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tube coming out of the side of the block goes to the PCV valve, the valve cover vent goes to the airfilter, neither of these will cause performance issues, and it will keep your oil clean longer.

The reason the valve cover vent goes to the air filter is because it doesn't always blow air out, sometimes it sucks air in, so it is then filtered air it is sucking in.

What do I do with the tube from the block (breather?) and also the one on the valve cover. Do I run a hose between the two?

Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!

since you got sidedrafts what Wayno said works for a stock carb manifold set up with the stock aircleaner.

you can make a vent box to route too. seen some cool set ups

I myself just open vent the crank case(on my 2 sidedrafts 510s)

My yellw 510 its been that way for 30years

valve cover vent I route a hose down to by the floor so no oil spray gets on the firewall

On my dailey driver 521 I use the PCV valve set up

Been reading a lot on how to dial the motor in. But I have been finding a lot of conflicting info.

I thought my jets needed to be smaller and called rebello today and the guy right off told me 3 things I need to change and I didn't even tell him my setup. I told him my jet setup and he said it should be right.

So the three things were my timing setting, no vacuum, and increased mixture. All 3 I had different then he recommended and he didn't even know what I had set. Crazy.

So I took out vacuum and plugged them. Screwed with mixture screws until popping stopped and finally got it to idle without violent shaking. So tomorrow going to reset timing and resync carbs etc and see if I can get this nice.

Bleed the brakes and clutch tonight. Brakes are working but the pushrod I made is too short. Gotta make another. Don't know if clutch is working cuz I don't have the stick installed yet.

Here is what it sounds like now. Idle is a little high but this was last minute adjustments when I was rolling it outside.

• Like 1

It's a driving project now. Still have a lot to do but it is roadworthy registered and AAA insured with 200 mile tow. Never liked AAA until the DMV experience waiting for 3 hrs just to get to the window. I decided then maybe paying for AAA will be worth it for the DMV aspect plus becoming a member for the towing!

5AEA512C-5552-46EF-A2D9-F3257E5AE55E.jpg

1F7DDE91-15AF-4EEB-824A-E437AE2E4F61.jpg

AFE69474-84C2-4EC2-B48E-4A3EA51DDC1E.jpg

5CC06A78-6B58-4982-BD12-7B49B6717104.jpg

63283909-08FB-4372-9EA0-198D8B550824.jpg

• Like 1

So the adventures of old cars continues. I drove the truck yesterday going to work in insane stop and go traffic. I was in the far left lane a t a stop went to go and no clutch. So i had to push it across 3 lanes of heavy traffic and then do the start it in first and haul ass on the shoulder to the be next street I could turn on to get to a place to park it.

Returned to it in the evening and found the clutch slave cylinder over extended and was leaking. Fixed it and poured fluid tried to bleed and no fluid coming. Finally got to the point where I disconnected ever line and the clutch master resivour is full but no fluid comes out. Got trailer and towed it back to the shop.

Also I ordered a weber 32/36. I can't get he mikunis to get where I need them, and even if I do, I don't like how loud they are. For dd I think the single weber will be a better choice.