71 521 something

earlyvws

Been watching this truck for about a month on craigslist. Priced to high by datsun standards, but giving it away by vw pricing. So I made a reasonable offer and picked it up tonight.

The other truck I have is basically junk. All the sheet metal is worthless. I needed a new body, this truck was exactly what I needed, as I had all the missing parts.

My plan is to make a patina truck using a lot of the pieces I already did for my 69. Then after it is a nice running driving truck sell it to recoup some of my cost. I will lose money no matter what, but I'm looking at it as I'm saving 1 truck, and using up pieces of another that otherwise have little value and I can't keep them forever.

My plan is to buff out the so called OG paint. The front hood is the only question mark as to being savable.

Then go thru all the mechanical, (brakes, etc). Use the L18 and 5 speed I already have done. Lower it, new seals and do a nice interior.

Try to keep it affordable for the next guy but will be a better truck then the average CL vehicle.

But then again if I can find a way to keep it, it would be the perfect next build with the FJ20. This truck is nicer then the other 2.

Pics as I got it,

5E1FA4FC-F1A4-4BB2-89FA-F76DD661A0A6.jpg

957A83BF-3043-4793-909D-2DB8CB9DF71E.jpg

77D7318C-0E06-4140-A578-4D6B582841A4.jpg

DF3954E4-ED3D-4468-8066-1D762831B473.jpg

1AAC46EF-6505-4406-87D8-CA79CDA33079.jpg

And 10 mins of work instantly better

E6FE1E9C-526B-4B16-A73D-F305DFA5A6A6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to make sure that you were the same guy, it's kinda strange to see a guy on here with 213 posts with a 23 page build.  :thumbup:

I am sure that this one will be as nice as everything else you build, and be an interesting read like your other 521 build, I will be eagerly waiting for updates. :)

Flip is kind of a dirty word. I think of this as passing on good karma. If things work out where I can keep it I will. But I need to start clearing out the warehouse cuz I'm already past the deadline.

I have a funny situation. With vws I am always missing motors. One time I had 4 ready to drive cars and only 1 motor. With the datsuns I have the KA, FJ, (2) L16, and L18.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of building and seeing the transformation. This truck looks great for this purpose.

When everything is wrapped up I would have to store all these parts or try to sell them. Certainly losing money. I'm just finding a funner way to lose money. My goal is to sell this for around $4k. Considering I have about $2k into the other things I already have + the purchase of this truck + whatever else I will spend on it, I will lose. But I do get satisfaction out of letting someone else getting to enjoy a cool truck for a bargain.

Consider this, I have all the time/ money refreshing the L18, the 5 speed tranny, buying a radiator, powder coating parts and misc other costs that would otherwise go towards nothing. Instead they have a new home in this truck. But unfortunately I don't have the luxury to keep it at this time, but things could change. Not sure what my future is going to be right now.

I paid $1k. He actually was frustrated with the offers he was getting and getting ready to sell it for scrap metal money. I guess everyone was offering like $400. I

He was not a datsun guy. He asked what I'm going to do with it. I told him what I posted here. He asked what I think i will get for it when I'm done. I said I hope to get $4k. He said wow glad I didn't spend anymore money on it.

Oh well I think it would of been a shame for this to get crushed. The only bad panel is the front hood. The only good panel of my other truck is the front hood!

I paid $1k. He actually was frustrated with the offers he was getting and getting ready to sell it for scrap metal money. I guess everyone was offering like $400. I

He was not a datsun guy. He asked what I'm going to do with it. I told him what I posted here. He asked what I think i will get for it when I'm done. I said I hope to get $4k. He said wow glad I didn't spend anymore money on it.

Oh well I think it would of been a shame for this to get crushed. The only bad panel is the front hood. The only good panel of my other truck is the front hood!

Good score from the looks of it.  I saved one for $600, but yours is in much better shape!

Then after it is a nice running driving truck sell it to recoup some of my cost. I will lose money no matter what, but I'm looking at it as I'm saving 1 truck.

Not a good way to save money. Save a truck MAYBE but eventullay the next guy will lose interest and it back to a 500$ to a 500$ truck.

I will sell my green 521 for 1000 when Im done with it but Ill never get my money out of it. But Its nicer but it will never get near 2k either.

In washington there are just alot more of them in yards.

Guy has a nice one they try selling to me 2 weeks ago. and a guy found a green one like yours with white stripe

Is the strips factory or something a lot people added to their trucks?

I dont think they were done at the factory but i believe they were added on by the dealer such as A/C and what not. i know a guy who has a 521 A/C unit i hope to pick up the the next swapmeet. you should stop by and check it out its next weekend in san jose i should be there with the rest of the crew

When you come across what you think is a good deal on an old Datsun, you really never really know what you have until you get into it.

for example, I bought Ratsun, this truck,

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/

as parts for this truck.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49698-my-dragon-datsun-521/

I thought this truck would be an easy turn around, but it turned to not be so easy.  Rusty floors, had a bad engine.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/52124-my-dragon-2-datsun-521/

Long story short, Ratsun, the truck that was originally bought for parts, is a daily driver.  It does not look very good, yet, but it has proven to be pretty reliable.

• Like 1

So just asking a question, you are complaining in the other thread about not having enough time to work on the grey truck and you buy this thing to add another problem in your life, while looks like spending all of your time on this truck yet you got a million holes in your other trucks fire wall.

This is a Jedi mind trick. U think I'm not doing but doing out of time but have time accomplish more then you know in less time

Thing.

No, really I'm sort of at a stand still until I get my damn KA back from the machine shop. What is really left is paint 2 doors, touch up some spots and paint the front valance. But everyday I also do small things too. My in laws removed my drop dead date because they felt guilty a couple months ago when they need me to fill in for a driver for 6 weeks and that was also when my mom passed away.

So now I was told just get it done as fast as I can.

• Like 1

D0E5DF5F-32A0-43D6-988A-F9B5AB9910F5.jpg

38963B23-EAD0-4F9D-B9C5-CFD20034CACE.jpg

397DF838-BA57-46BC-8090-B7E35538F762.jpg

Pick up these today

Already rebuilt.

A73F2378-EB86-405A-B92C-D0914691372A.jpg

0A3C45AB-B242-49B8-B40F-2FE89A41F591.jpg

Do I need to cut out the center bearing perch if I go with a 1 piece drive line and lowered.

E6BDABB3-DFDA-4568-9963-B35F4E10E087.jpg

Tomorrow should be a really big day. I hope I can get done what I have in mind. See this truck back together with motor and tranny installed.