Another questions for guys with rotary's.

Hey guys,

So 12a n/a rotary with big street port (will be turbo if I like the drivability).  Have not yet driven the car, so no butt dyno results to compare.

Question is on rear end gearing.

Have the stock 5sp rx7 trans.

Right now there a stock open 4.11 back there, but the car also came with a Subaru 3.7 lsd.

Comparisons between the 2 is what Im looking for.

I have no problem swapping the lsd into the 4.11 if that's the consensus.

I have never driven a rotary, so I don't even know how to start comparing.

Thanks for any comments.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand rotarys are high revving so I would go with the 4.11... or even higher.

4.11 over 3.70, is about 11% This means at 6k you would be doing 6,660 with the 4.11s and getting into the power that much sooner.

Rotary powered Bluebirds? (think I just jizzed in my pants) Nothing useful to say other than I've owned 5 FD3S RX-7s (all Japanese Imports) and I've had a supercharged 12a Powering my Hillman Imp and for the past 2 years I've had a 12a bridge ported RX-4 (NZ Import) hidden away in my garage back in the UK.

Off to search for Rotary Bluebirds :devil:

the 4.11 would be better if you're driving more street, drag, stop and go-type driving. this is due to the rotary not being a relatively low torque motor. fuel economy would probably be a bit down.

the 3.70 would be better if you're doing more highway/long distance driving.

Be prepared to blow apex seals when if you turbo that engine. This is how the rotaries ended up with such a horrible reputation, blown apex seals because of too much boost. Leave it N/A, buy a turbo engine from a 2nd gen, or if you really want a turbo get a different motor. The 12A will run for a long time *IF* it's taken care of and not abused.