High RPM when taken out of gear

0r0B210

Hi guys-

Car drives strong and everything but when I take the transmission out of gear the engine rev up to 3k RPMs then slowly gets back down to idle at 9-950k.  What could this be attributed to?  Bad carb calibration?  Need a carb rebuild?  What do you guys think?

-ILR!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be the BCCD is set to sensitive. If you can find the adjustment screw, try a couple of turns anti clockwise. This will raise the tip in and release point.

See if throttle is closing all the way when revved up. Maybe cable too tight?

When revved up does a sudden quick step on the gas peddle drop it?

Most carbs have it in one form or another. It allows air and fuel into the engine when decelerating and intake vacuum is above a pre set amount. Once the car slows it should shut off. 

The added air and fuel reduces pollution from an over lean condition. Some later carbs have a fuel shut off using the idle cut solenoid... actually saves gas.

So I've been working on it for hours now, and no matter how i calibrate the carb it won't hold idle, and seems to  be flooding.  Also not all cylinders seem to be firing, maybe the timing got off sync somehow?  I tried adjusting the advance and retard through the distributor with no luck of improvement.  I am really at a loss for possible fixes.  I am thinking of rebuilding the carb, that is my last resort, i guess.  Thanks for your help.

-ILR.

Timing is the same for all cylinders. I would put everything ignition back to stock. 12 degrees advance set with the vacuum advance hose off and idle around 800 ish.

When the idle is high try pulling on the throttle linkage in the closed direction. If you can get the idle down then the throttle plate isn't closing. This might be sticking from a worn shaft, cable or linkage too tight...

Take distributor cap off. Pull the vacuum advance hose off and suck on the end. Rotor should turn clockwise and hold until released. Does it return to the same place or does it stick slightly advanced???