A15 Fuel Delivery Issues

floyd17

Okay, so  the car was running great this morning, started it up, eased out of the neighborhood, and as SOON as I got out on the road, the engine started stumbling, like it was running out of air/fuel and wouldn't run over 1500 RPM. It did this for a good 5 or 10 minutes, on the side of the road (about 50 yards from the neighborhood.) i eased it back home, gently pressing the accelerator just to get it back. a very similar story happened a few weeks ago, when i was driving some back roads to avoid traffic. i had been racing through these back country roads and the car had been performing as good as ever (for about 45 mins of rather hard driving), but suddenly it started stumbling and stuttering and wouldn't go above 1500. we replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and I've driven it for about a month no problems what so ever. i tried changing the cap and rotor button. after that, the problem was idling. it would start up and idle, but after revving it at high rpm's, letting completely off of the accelerator cause it to die. so the only thing i can think is maybe the carb has a wonky accelerator pump? Also noted, both days were over cast days with coming/going rain.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Change the fuel filter. Cut the old one open. If it plugged with rusty brown crap this is the problem and the tank needs cleaning. If clean it only cost $4 to find out.

It won't be the accelerator pump. You can drive without one if you accelerate slowly.

Failure to rev above 1,500 could be dirt in the main jet. The mixture will be extremely lean. If you drove it any length of time the plugs will over heat and burn all the carbon off them. Pull the plugs and if they are white or very clean this is likely the cause.

Or it could be extremely rich. Perhaps the choke is stuck on or sticking. Take the top off the air filter and look when the engine is warmed up. The choke plate  should be fully open.

Change the fuel filter. Cut the old one open. If it plugged with rusty brown crap this is the problem and the tank needs cleaning. If clean it only cost $4 to find out.

It won't be the accelerator pump. You can drive without one if you accelerate slowly.

Failure to rev above 1,500 could be dirt in the main jet. The mixture will be extremely lean. If you drove it any length of time the plugs will over heat and burn all the carbon off them. Pull the plugs and if they are white or very clean this is likely the cause.

Or it could be extremely rich. Perhaps the choke is stuck on or sticking. Take the top off the air filter and look when the engine is warmed up. The choke plate  should be fully open.

thinking its trash in the get. i swapped cyl 1 and 4 and backfired through the carburetor to try to blow the crap out. seems to have helped.

Fuel filter, is my bet. I have been plagued with this same issue for the last three months on my a12 motor. drop the tank or buy two filters to have for roadside repairs. Spirited driving stirred the tank which led to your first incident I suspect. My 2cents

i dunno. ill look at the old filter, first.

• 3 weeks later...

Running really well now, but occasionally when I get to a stoplight the idle drops to 4-500 and then dies. Then the next stoplight it idles perfectly at 8-900. What's the deal? I've backfired the carb recently to blow the crap out.. Fresh clean fuel filter, too. Any ideas?