Final Swap Questions

I'm just about ready to FINALLY do my KA swap into my 620. I have the motor mounts, I have a nice, mechanically sound '94 Hardbody that I'm currently driving daily to get my motor, trans and wiring from and before me and my buddy dive into it, because we're going to TRY to complete the swap in 4 days, I just wanted to make sure that we won't run into a stumbling block other than the ones that everyone will encounter along the way.

I've done a lot of research and our main concern is fuel pressure. A lot of people are running walbro 255's in-line from what I can tell, is this the best way to go? I'd like to avoid doing a fuel cell and all of that stuff if I can. 

I bought headers for the KA motor in an attempt to free up some room, the motor is getting a new water pump, plugs, wires and cap before it finds its new home and my friend who is helping with the swap owns a muffler shop, so custom routing won't be an issue there. Because I'm taking everything from a running vehicle, including the wiring and computers, I'm thinking as long as everything is well labeled I should be ok. From all of the build threads I have read on, I haven't seen any major complications, I just wanted to make one last check.

As for Air Conditioning...which I REALLY want to keep...opinions here, try to take everything out of the nissan and make it fit in the datsun as far as the under the dash stuff goes or should I try to buy Datsun parts for the trucks with AC and retro fit? Best idea for sending units and gauges? I want to keep things as stock looking on the interior as possible, but I'm pretty sure that the nissan wiring/sending units/gauges won't just wire right up to the datsun stuff. If I have to go aftermarket, so be it, but I really like the stock classic look. Thanks for all of the help!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just about ready to FINALLY do my KA swap into my 620. I have the motor mounts, I have a nice, mechanically sound '94 Hardbody that I'm currently driving daily to get my motor, trans and wiring from and before me and my buddy dive into it, because we're going to TRY to complete the swap in 4 days, I just wanted to make sure that we won't run into a stumbling block other than the ones that everyone will encounter along the way.

I've done a lot of research and our main concern is fuel pressure. A lot of people are running walbro 255's in-line from what I can tell, is this the best way to go? I'd like to avoid doing a fuel cell and all of that stuff if I can. 

I bought headers for the KA motor in an attempt to free up some room, the motor is getting a new water pump, plugs, wires and cap before it finds its new home and my friend who is helping with the swap owns a muffler shop, so custom routing won't be an issue there. Because I'm taking everything from a running vehicle, including the wiring and computers, I'm thinking as long as everything is well labeled I should be ok. From all of the build threads I have read on, I haven't seen any major complications, I just wanted to make one last check.

As for Air Conditioning...which I REALLY want to keep...opinions here, try to take everything out of the nissan and make it fit in the datsun as far as the under the dash stuff goes or should I try to buy Datsun parts for the trucks with AC and retro fit? Best idea for sending units and gauges? I want to keep things as stock looking on the interior as possible, but I'm pretty sure that the nissan wiring/sending units/gauges won't just wire right up to the datsun stuff. If I have to go aftermarket, so be it, but I really like the stock classic look. Thanks for all of the help!

I have the S14 SR20DE in my 510 and running a Walbro 190 externally and it isn't noisey, got it on Ebay $90 5 years ago. It works great and no issues. I have read that the 255's have a tendency to run a bit rich.

I'm pretty much plugging and playing from my hardbody as far as the wiring. My stock 620 harness was so mangled from it's previous owner that it's pretty much useless. I know there's going to be a lot of connector splicing for the chassis electrical like the lights, but i'm an amateur electrician, so everything should be fine right? HAHAHAHAHAHA. I know everybody uses the 240 intakes and such, but I'm not going for speed, just a reliable motor that will move Dotty down the road. Can't wait to drive her again. 

have u done research on Ka and Efi swaps? it's been done alot but u will need a way of wiring it up, be it your own way or simplest choice a can am box... it will save you a headache...and the 240 manifold and harness is just for simplicity and cleanliness not for power. just throwing in my 2 cents

I already have Redeye's mounts. I know that the truck harness has the motor and chassis electrical all together, and I know it's going to be tedious getting everything wired in, but my datsun currently has NO wiring in it at all because of how mangled it's harness was. If i'm taking a harness out of a running truck and putting it into a bare chassis, I guess I'm not understanding why I need a can am box. I'm pretty much hanging a datsun body on a nissan chassis at the end of the day. If the truck is running now, I'm not sure why I need another control system. 

if your taking the entire harness from the donor truck you should be able to basicly be plug and play so long as you have a fiactory wiring diagram for both trucks to make the 70s switches and such work with the 90s harness as for the ac take everything ac related from the hardbody but find the under dash stuff for the datsun to make your life the easiest trust me ive retrofitted ac into a datto its alot easier to find bolt in parts