Newbie Datsun 521 owner in San Diego, CA

armycook

Just bought my first 521. It's a 1970 521. It runs but rattles and grinds in different places underneath. I've sold my 83 Hilux to get this truck and now I'm so excited. I work as a civilian contractor inspecting helicopters during the day but don't have a clue about cars. It's sad I know but I know it's not too late to learn. If you're for around San Diego I'd love to get together and learn more about this truck.

I'm in Mira Mesa. You can text. I'd love to find a good Datsun mechanic too that I can hire to help me fix her up.

Dennis

714-600-2877

• Like 2
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hey there Dennis! Glad you found a 521. I was able to get mine running again. Try and get us some pictures of the truck. 

Check with all your joints, and bushings. I.E. control arm bushings, tie-rods. Make sure the tie rods boots aren't damaged, and give them a good squirt of grease. Check to see If the bushings are cracked and on their way out, grease those up too.  These old trucks will rattle. It comes with age. Just means you have to be a bit more diligent when it comes to working on them.

• Like 1

Hey Joey! Well the truck is at the shop now getting a new clutch assembly. It was horrible and wouldn't go in gear easily. I'm not a mechanic but I do like tinkering with things since it's my regular to do so. Should be fun getting this truck up to par. When the previous owner demo'd how to shift, he did it with ease but I can see him putting too much muscle in it and I didn't like that and I know it's not supposed to be like that because I remember my dad had an old Datsun and wasn't near that at all. The truck is very straight but has little cancer on the lower portion if door and think surface rust on driver floor board. To be honest I don't wanna take her to a shop but just hire someone off of craigslist to work on it with me so I can see how to maintain and do it myself in the future. Plus I don't trust shops and will only take it there if I need to.

Yeah it's not bad at all. The interior was redone and not my style so that will have to go. But body I'll probably keep it old looking like that for now until I get all the high speed mechanicals to function 100%

• Like 1

Nice looking truck!

"until I get all the high speed mechanicals to function 100%"

I found it kind of funny you describe anything associated with a Datsun 521 "high speed", but on the other hand, you need to get used to the engine spinning 3,500 to 4,000 at freeway speeds, and I am talking about 55 MPH freeways.

This is one of my project threads.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/

There you go, one crazy "kanaka" already your friend.

We are all your friends now,,  there is some pretty hardcore 521 guys on here so i'm sure if your questions can be answered they will try their hardest to help you. 

Welcome ,,  new guy.

• Like 1

We are all your friends now,,  there is some pretty hardcore 521 guys on here so i'm sure if your questions can be answered they will try their hardest to help you. 

Welcome ,,  new guy.

Happy to be here :)

Interior is an easy fix. Right now it's in the shop and I should get it back this afternoon. Body is straight but lots of rattling noise underneath. Just found out one of the transmission mount is broken too.