Datsun 720 Radiator

VanillawaferX

So I got my replacement radiator this past week and went to install it this weekend. Right when I got the rad full of coolant. It started hissing and leaking. Shouldnt have been so cheap. I'm in the process of returning this pos rad and getting a different replacement. As my dad always says buy :poop:  get   :poop:      :rofl:

So ive done some digging now and prior to purchasing this rad. Which Ive only found dimensions for a custom rad. I dont feel like spending the money for a custom one. And the original is beyond repair. I would also rather get a brand new one over a used one. So used would be last option. 

So what I'm asking is does anyone have a place I could get a OEM replacement or all aluminum replacement OR does anyone know of a rad that will fit with minor modifications? 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If its brand new, exchange it for a non-leaking one. Sometimes new parts are defective even expensive ones.

Ehh I got it from a United states carrier on CrapBay. When It came in the box was covered with Chinese characters and so is the radiator itself. plus looking at the welds around the filler neck and the tops and bottoms I was pretty sure it was going to have problems before I even installed it.  

THe Pick n pull website shows there is a bunch  of 720s at the Portland south and Sherwood locations ..

That would be my next steps If I cant find a brand new one. 

Autozone has brand new ones.

I was going to get one of these but its not available in store or online.

So order one from autozone . Normally takes two days.

Like I said I cant. They are not in stock. I think Ill go with the idea of getting a return of this one I have now. if that one is also crap Ill have to look into some other options. I really wish that autozone one was available but Nothing I can do about that. 

Ah, well. Worth a try.

If you are handy you can adapt an S13 radiator. They have simple pin-type modem mount. And the B14 version is the same except for location of pipes.

S13/N14/N15 and B14 radiators are inexpensive --about

$70 at RockAuto.com. They are:

* aluminum

* have pin mounts top & bottom

* come in three sizes: Medium, Large and Gigantic

* Some are thicker, the 26mm versions are good for 2-liter engines The 175hp version is thickest (32mm)

* various cap and outlet locations

Murray 431312 (1" or 25mm thick core) $137 at oreillyauto.com

Ah, well. Worth a try.

If you are handy you can adapt an S13 radiator. They have simple pin-type modem mount. And the B14 version is the same except for location of pipes.

S13/N14/N15 and B14 radiators are inexpensive --about

$70 at RockAuto.com. They are:

* aluminum

* have pin mounts top & bottom

* come in three sizes: Medium, Large and Gigantic

* Some are thicker, the 26mm versions are good for 2-liter engines The 175hp version is thickest (32mm)

* various cap and outlet locations

Murray 431312 (1" or 25mm thick core) $137 at oreillyauto.com

Thats what I was wondering if there was a close to fit rad from another car I could mount in there. Im looking for something with somewhat same hose set up as the stock so maybe ill look at some different s13 rads

So bumping this again...

Just got back from autozone with this

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Spectra-Premium-Radiator/1983-Nissan-Datsun-720-Truck-2WD/_/N-ikn2gZ9pdak?itemIdentifier=58578_266534_0_

got the Egay radiator out and went to drop the new one in and its too bit. Sits about an inch over each side of where the stock one sits. 

2hz6afd.jpg

Looking at it closer its only thing holding it from dropping all the way down is the bumper mounts. If I notch those I could mount it by drilling some new holes... hmmmmm

Anyone have some suggestions on this. I wouldn't have to notch the whole mount just the top 1/4 that curls over 90 degrees.

Like ive said before.. this truck will be the death of me  :sleep:

Update on  this. The rad will fit but the brackets for it is what is actually in the way. I thought about taking off my bumper but I love the look of it so im trying not to go that route. 

Anyways First thing I did was take the split washer off the bottom bolts on the rad. This allowed for the bolts to slip by the Bumper bracket now its resting on the Rad bracket. I trimmed one side of the Rad bracket and it slips into place. Now I just gotta trim the other side and hopefully (without destroying this rad) I can give it a little nudge and it will drop right in.

Well got the rad in and made a super pro snapple overflow resi. And of course after I take her around the block a few times the carb starts to whistle -_-

I'm taking it to a shop just around the corner to get the exhaust done in a day or so. I'll look to see if they can rebuild my car. There and find where that whistle is coming from.

• 2 years later...

Hi I just had a problem with my radiator in my 82 Datsun 720 diesel pickup .The radiator fell off and got caught in the fan ruining all of the cores but I just took it over to Lansing radiator and repair in Lansing mi.Pat the guy that owns the place tore it all apart and tanked it in muriatic acid and soldered all new fins and cores in it ,welded the brackets back on and pressure tested it for only $300.00 even.This place can fix any of them for any model prices varie.look them up on Google maybe he does it through the mail too.high quality remain for discontinued radiator and he can repair for as low as $50 he said.

• Like 1