what parts out of a 83 280zx

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry mike i ment the coils on the front shocks but thanks for that info too. Good to know.

Of course, what the hell was I thinking????

The Z car coils are a much larger diameter and will NOT fit up inside the 510's strut towers. When swapping to zx struts trim the bottom spring mount off the zx strut, grind away the old weld until smooth, and use your 510 coil (possibly suitably trimmed to increase the spring rate but not to set the ride height) and 510 spring perch. Support the spring perch with 2" split collars from Fastenall about $25 CDN. The ride height is set with the split collars.

The 510 stock coil spring rate is 89 lb/in. My 710 is about 100. I worked out the spring rate and removed a coil and a half to increase it by 50%. There are mathematical formulas for working out how much to cut. If you go this route get me several measurements and I can work out how many coils to remove. I like 150 lb/in you may like more so don't just hack coils off because once cut it can't be put back on. Doing it this way gives you ZX struts and adjustable ride height for under $30. Assuming you have an angle grinder and metal cutting blade.

When you dismantle the zx struts you might find that they have the original oil filled dampers still in them. This is a good thing as you can dump out the old watery thin hydraulic oil and replace with something thicker. I used Belray 20W motorcycle front fork oil. Thicker fluid is harder to push through the strut valves and firms up the dampening. Add another $17 Which is way cheaper than replacing with strut inserts @ $80 (each I think)