what parts out of a 83 280zx

Hey guys what parts are worth keepin outa a 83 280zx??

I know theirs a 2.8L strait six and its a 5 speed but is the shocks and brakes, masters and what not any good for my 510???

I need to know asap cause i can get one for around 2- $300 running just needs clutch and fram is roted bad.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is covered in many other threads but save the complete front struts and brake calipers and rotors, master cyl, rear brake calipers and rotors, 5-speed, wheels, maybe the rear diff. Maybe the front seats.

If you have an L20B in your dime the zx flywheel will fit, is lighter (about 21 pounds) and 225mm so it will take a truck clutch. Who knows maybe it has a new Exedy 6 puck clutch in it? If turbo 5 speed forget the trans but the turbo head bolts are stronger.

I beleave its a 2.8L and they had the flat top pistons so id probobly be keeping those. Lol

And if i decided to stick a l28 into MY 510 that im going to use in autoX whats wrong with that?? Bigger motor more displacment. I dont care if i gotta move the fire wall. I could be stickin a honda motor in it. At least im stickin with the same brand like i should. And if i did decide to do it i would upgrade to j injection atleast. BUT ill be keepin you guys posted on it and see what happins. Its a strong running motor so ill make my decision when it comes. First things first...get the zx and strip it. But thank you all for the imput i love you all for it.

No hacked up 510 forsale. My daughter would hate me. Its our race car build. Team daughter dady.

Im thinkin of usin the pistons for my motor and what ever else will work on my motor to pep it up a bit and the brakes and tranny. Maybe the diff if its better. I wanna still stick with carb cause i dont like how if you hop up the motor a bit you have to A flash your ecu or spend money buying a different one just to be able to tune it to run your setup.

And mike i probobly dont want to run the zx coils do i?

If non turbo... then it has a regular pointless EI distributor. If you buy the reluctor and stator set (less than $30) from Nissan and a new cap and rotor for an L20B you could convert the distributor over to run on your 4 cylinder. THEN yes, you could use the EI coil from the zx.

At the least the EI zx dizzy is worth $100 to some 240/260/280z car owner that wants the upgraded ignition. Sell and buy one for the L4.

How you going to fit the L28 into the 510 without hacking the sheet metal? Can't be done.

Get a tape measure and go out to your 510. Add 7 3/4" to the front of your water pump fan or imagine the rad 7 3/4" farther forward. That's got to be well into the grill. The rear of the engine speaks for itself... 7 3/4" back would be half way into the heater core. The distance between head bolts is just under four inches so seven and three quarter inches is two cylinders added.

L20B is an instant 15-20 hp. KA about double the L16. VG30 a hair more but the torque will wet your pants.

Well if we didnt need to run rades ya i wouldnt even need to touch the metal but i do agree with you that metal would be cut. I dont hack things. Yes i cut the metal to fit the rad BUT it will be cleaned up and resaported. If i cut the fire wall i would make sure it would be cleaned up nice and proper. If i had a camera for the other cars ive built youd see i do nice work. May not look it in begining but in the end its nice.

Trust me if this was a mint clean car i would never set one foot near it with a grinder or metal snips lol or ever think of stickin a l28 into it.

But i am going to find out what i can do to my l16 with the parts from this motor first before the decision is even thaught of.

No hacked up 510 forsale. My daughter would hate me. Its our race car build. Team daughter dady.

Im thinkin of usin the pistons for my motor and what ever else will work on my motor to pep it up a bit and the brakes and tranny. Maybe the diff if its better. I wanna still stick with carb cause i dont like how if you hop up the motor a bit you have to A flash your ecu or spend money buying a different one just to be able to tune it to run your setup.

And mike i probobly dont want to run the zx coils do i?

You won't change your carb because you don't want to tune the ECM?

Good news. You don't have a computer.

Shops like reflashing because they can sell you something. If you were here before reflashing became known, you would've seen how they did it before.

In any case, the 280ZX ecu isn't reflashable. Just make adjustments to fuel pressure and airflow meter, if needed. The Hitachi ECU can compensate automatically for many engine mods.

A carb is harder because you have to rejet it.