Datsun 510 Lexan Front Window

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's only plastic. Glass is harder than steel. It wouldn't last long on the highway in the real world. On a race car it reduces weight if used all around, lowering the center of gravity of the car.

You wouldn't believe what people think and do. Stuff that belongs on a track car going 130 used on a DD going 75. Calipers and rotors that would stop a 20 ton semi, rear spoilers the add 25 pounds of down force,  exhaust that would flow a hemi, strut bars because everyone does, catch cans (yup, on a street car!!!)  Is it any wonder when you don't say why in your first post?

Fair enough, I planned to just get a piece of Lexan and cut it. I was just making sure if somebody made one that was fitted before I did. Ya, this is a complete drag car. Hope to go low 4.50's - high 4.40's in the 1/8 at about 155-160. It will be a hemi cut in half basically. Plan to get a Brad 8 head that would normally be on a Pro Mod and stick one on a 4 cylinder block. All for the weight reduction. I'm not an import guy by any means, but the Datsun is light and that is why I chose this car. If I go the torque converter way it will have a turbo 400. If I go with a clutch, it will have a Liberty 5 speed. It will most likely be an automatic though since I will be running on radials. Clutch and radials do not go together very well on a racecar.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

X275 PL510,

A lot of road racers have bought used Lexan windshields from NASCAR teams and cut them down to fit their windshield opening.

Check with your sanctioning body to see if they have a minimum thickness and/or bracing requirement for Lexan windshields. I know SCCA allows Lexan front windshields, but they need to be 6mm (0.24") minimum thickness and have at least three 1" wide support braces to keep it from collapsing inward.

• Like 2

X275 PL510,

A lot of road racers have bought used Lexan windshields from NASCAR teams and cut them down to fit their windshield opening.

Check with your sanctioning body to see if they have a minimum thickness and/or bracing requirement for Lexan windshields. I know SCCA allows Lexan front windshields, but they need to be 6mm (0.24") minimum thickness and have at least three 1" wide support braces to keep it from collapsing inward.

Everything will be taken care of accordingly and I really appreciate the advice Dave.